A thought...

I'm reading a book - Go + Do - which has so far (I'm on page 70) been an interesting read. I just came across a part in the book where the author is talking about an experience of his from a visit to Bangladesh where he realized, in the middle of a conversation with Muslim Bengalis, that he and his companions may be the only Americans or Christians those he's talking with may ever meet, and he speaks of the great responsibility he realized, being the sole representative of their country and faith.

This made me stop to think... What if we were the only example or representative (he also uses the word "ambassador") one might be exposed to? Would our behavior reflect our religions in a way that recognizes the responsibility we hold, as representatives, regardless of whether we believe we are the only ones? Does the idea that we are only one of many somehow cause that responsibility to be taken less seriously when representing our faiths or beliefs? Shouldn't we *want* to represent ourselves, our faiths, etc, as well as we can, in every situation? Or are there ways to determine when it really "counts" and when it doesn't?

It kind of makes me think of that quote... "You may be the only Bible some people will ever read"

Do you take the time to consider how you're representing your religion, when engaging with others? Is it something that your religion/church teaches *should* be considered? Or is it something of little importance individually and/or as a collective group of followers (for lack of a better term)?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is my philosophy so yes as a matter of fact I do.
    I also believe that I maybe the only smile or word of encouragement that someone sees or hears all day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• "I also believe that I maybe the only smile or word of encouragement that someone sees or hears all day."

I do like to think that way as well :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I think it is of the utmost importance. I could not call myself a medical doctor if I am not licensed and practicing medicine. I could not claim to be a vegetarian if I eat meat. I couldn't say I was an Olympic athlete if I have never competed in the Olympics. So how can I declare a faith that I am not actively living out?
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 7:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• You are always your own ambassador no matter what you do.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Bandgeek,that is something I have thought a lot of lately. In my job, I work with people in recovery from lives of addiction and as I hear their stories I am often hit with the realization that their encounter with me may be a small portion of what you just described. So much of the life I have taken for granted, growing up with an awareness of God's love and the ability to choose a path with Him, is totally foreign to many of the people who come into my office. I dont often think I am representing my religion per se, but I often struggle that I am representing God's love for them and my human failings sometimes make me fall very very short!!! They come to my office so wounded, beat down, ready to give up...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Nimue, I think that is beautiful, that you work in such a meaningful field and see that you have a chance to reach out to them in a love they may not have experienced thus far. <3
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Thanks, Bandgeek, it is meaningful but your post describes my thoughts pretty well... its a responsibility Ive welcomed because I feel its the right thing to do but somedays its a repsonsibility that feels like a burden on days I just want to slack off....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Yes.  I'm not religious, but I think it's important to not hide that fact even though I live in a community where the majority of people claim a strong attachment to their churches.  Because atheism has such a bad reputation, I've been reluctant to share the fact that I count myself in that group, but then I realized that it's because I'm atheist and because atheists are perceived in such a negative way that I shouldn't hide that part of myself.  I'm a good, caring, hard-working person who loves others, cares for the earth, and strives to set a good example for my children.  The other atheists I know are also very wonderful people who do such great things for our community.  I don't feel any shame for not believing in any gods, and I know that it doesn't take a belief in a god or in gods to be a good person, so I do feel a responsibility to be more open about myself.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I try to be very aware of how I treat people. I want them to sense that there is something different about me, even if they don't know I am a Christian. We all have opportunities every day to treat people well or badly. Do we push our way through a crowd instead of waiting patiently for a break in the "traffic"? Do we act impatiently with people in traffic? Do we say please and thank you? There is a song by Casting Crowns called "Jesus, friend of sinners". It says basically that there is a world at the end of our pointing fingers, "the world is on its way to You but it's tripping over me", and that people know only what we're against and not what we are for.

I also try to have a sense for whether a person is open to talking about faith or not. I don't think that many souls are led to Christ by "giving them an earful" or whacking them over the head with a Bible.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• "Shouldn't we *want* to represent ourselves, our faiths, etc, as well as we can, in every situation?"

Absolutely, but we should be careful to distinguish between representing our faith and being a "good" image for the sake of it. As an Orthodox Jew I am an example of my faith. People see me in the street with the way I dress and my hair coveted and they know what I'm about. So I try my hardest to be a positive image, I'm kind towards other, I control my anger, I give a smile, a "good day" and treat those around me with dignity.
    It doesn't mean, though, that I compromise what my religion tells me it's right in order to please everybody. If my religion believes certain actions are wrong then they are and I'm not gonna make up some PC version so that others will think better of me. I have no mixed feelings and no doubts about my religion, I don't have to sugar coat it, I'm proud of it.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2012