does drinking beer/alcohol help produce more milk in your breast?

i have heard that drinking a beer/alcohol helps you to produce more breast milk.
i wonder if this is bay for the baby>?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 12:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for me personally, i would drink a beer a day, and it doesnt matter if its light or dark, i never drink dark..just light..it would make my boobs engorge within an hour or 2 and i could pump between 5 and 10 oz easy out of each breast..same result w a smirnoff or other beverages like that. it worked with my 2 kids..i Had to do it every day after the first couple of weeks becuase i just wasnt producing enough.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......it never ends.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• never heard of it
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• oatmeal stout. anything with oatmeal. but only have like 1.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have. I had a lactation consultant recommend it. I don't think that it helped. She said to drink a dark ale 30-60 min before I nursed (in my case pumped). I didn't see any difference.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Here's an excerpt from obfocus.com on the subject:
    Beer contains a polysaccharide from barley which can stimulate prolactin secretion and may enhance the production of milk. The polysaccharide is also found in non-alcoholic beer, and the effect on prolactin can also be induced by non-alcoholic beer.
    The component in beer responsible for the effect on prolactin secretion is not the alcohol content. In fact excessive alcohol consumption can decrease milk ejection. Studies have also shown reduced breast milk intake by infants after moderate alcohol consumption of their mothers.

And here's a link with an article regarding this, scroll halfway down the page to read it: http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear.com/2008/03/does-beer-reall.html. It gives links to other websites for alternatives for increasing your milk supply (kellymom.com).
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• it may or may not but it will only effect the baby if you drink and nurse/drink immediately after you nurse.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2009