4 month old needs to fast for surgery.....?

question....my 4 month old son is having tounge clipping surgery wed morning and needs to go under because the tie is thick. As a result he needs to fast after midnight.....how on earth am I supposed to sooth him? my plan is to power nurse as much as he'll allow before his bedtime- get him up around 10 and nurse once more and hopefully get him to take some rice cereal...it's going to be hell for the both of us and idk how on earth I am supposed to sooth him through the fasting..

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 9:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its rough but its so much better than Lo's getting sick from the anethesia. Bless his heart, hope all goes well.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Will he take a bottle of water?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• kellymom recommends only a 2-4 hour window after consult with physician:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/

and LaLeche agrees:
    http://www.llli.org/faq/anesthesia.html
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I feel your pain, my DD had her first surgery at 6 months. My advice is to keep him up as late as possible the night before- that way he'll sleep in the morning instead of being awake, fussy, & feeling your stress. It's always tough when they're hungry, but you'd be surprised what a favorite toy/blankie & snuggling on mommy's lap won't fix. Hugs, & be strong! I bet he comes through just fine.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• It was surprisingly easy when DS had his surgery at 4 months. I woke him up at 11pm for one last feeding and he didn't fuss the next morning. He was in surgery by 7:30am which really helped. We just did our best to keep him occupied for the couple hours he was up before hand.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My daughter had the same surgery but she was about 9 mths, I would just do an extra feed as close to midnight as possible , how many times would you normally feed after midnight ? Good luck, normally they will get you in first thing with a baby that age, and you can normally feed them after about 20 mins as they come around from the anesthetic
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:25 AM on May. 1, 2012

• My son had his surgery about a month ago and he was 6 mths. I was not only in fear for the surgery but the fact that he had to fast. I thought it was going to be a complete nightmare. My son is NOT a morning eater so I guess I had that on my side. By that I mean he wakes up and is content for a little while, he doesn't wake up crying because he is hungry. I feed him right at midnight for the last feed. I took him straight from his bed to his car seat. I didn't even change him until we got to the hospital because I didn't want to wake him. He slept all the way to the hospital. I was also told he could have pedialite up until 3 hrs before surgery but we didn't give him any because he didn't wake up. My suggestion would be to have a blanket and/or toy that he likes and have some family there before to help keep him entertained. . I hope the surgery is early but most of all I hope this helps and it all goes well.
    EvansMom2011

Answer by EvansMom2011 at 5:44 PM on May. 1, 2012

• How's the kid?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:59 AM on May. 4, 2012

• thanks everyone! and a special thanks to feralxat for checking in- when day surgery called the day before it was a great relief to find I could feed him till 3:30 am. he was such a happy boy right up until he left my arms and got put out- did great during and after the surgery until the anestia wore off and then was screaming the rest of the day. he barely nursed- or slept- and only got a few ouces through a syringe I made him have. he fell asleep 8 PM that night and woke 12:30 am and had his first feeding since after the surgery. after that he's been just fine and we are finally have nice full feedings. hoping to gest him to take a bottle soon!
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:14 PM on May. 4, 2012

• They usually allow clear liquids, breast milk up until a few hours before surgery and then even allow formula to sometime after midnight. Just call ahead and then whatever you do, pay attention to time and how much you give and time you finish to tell them at intake. Best wishes and prayers for speedy recovery.
    gracieb3

Answer by gracieb3 at 5:17 PM on May. 6, 2012