Has anyone had to get their toddler put under laughing gas for dental work? My son is 2 1/2 years old and has decay on the 4 front teeth and 1 back one...its not bad decay but its there...the dentist wants to fill the one in the back and the 2 next to the top 2 front ones and cap the 2 front teeth ...they will have 2 put him under with laughing gas and strap him to a board.

and please no negative comments about how could i let his teeth get this bad.....i brush his teeth twice sometimes 3 times daily and he drinks water with flouride in it and his juice is always watered down ...he gets very few sweets unless its a special occassion and he eats a lot of various fruit

stevensmommy05

Asked by stevensmommy05 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have had to do that...They just act real funny...It'll be fine..promise
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 8:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Isn't it sad that you have to ask people not to criticize when you need advice? Some kids just have weak teeth, I'm sure your son will be fine.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had laughing gas & was fine, wasn't strapped down though. She didn't need it, probably cause she was 3 1/2. No biggie! She fell & knocked her front tooth loose so they had to pull it!
    EmNKtsMom

Answer by EmNKtsMom at 9:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• They had to administer it to my son but not for dental work. He was fine with it. A lil goofy and a lil out of it but he was fine. The effects lasted about an hour after his surgery was over. Just make sure you stay right with him and watch about letting him aound steps and things he could fall and get hurt on. The meds make them a lil loopy!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I would tell them that you don't want him strapped down! He shouldn't need it if he has the gas. Being strapped down could give him nightmares and all kinds of issues. That would be scarier than the actual procedure. Don't let them strap him down!!
    LiveLoveLaugh

Answer by LiveLoveLaugh at 12:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• My little girl has had the laughing gas and been put to sleep for dental work when she was 3 1/2 for the same reasons as your son. I recommend asking them if he could be put to sleep. I know it all depends on the child but my girl got aggressive while recovering from the gas and she did really great recovering from the anesthesia. And the doc said it was easier to work on her while she was asleep. If it is a pedi dentist they might have an agreement with an dr who does the anesthesia.  Our pedi dentist does. 

Anonymous

• your son will be fine, i promise. my kids all three had to be put under (2 had the gas and the third they put to sleep). if they put the straps on, make sure they do it after he has had the gas/sedation and that they release the straps before he comes out of the sedation, thus avoiding nightmare potential.
    aliciatakescare

Answer by aliciatakescare at 2:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2008

• This isn't a criticism at all, but why all the decay? I would talk to your dentist or pediatrician about fluoride supplementation. My kids have had it for years and at 6 have never had a cavity. (And tooth brushing in my house is a once a day thing I let them do, and once a week I get in there and do it for them--so no annal hyper dental hygiene going on.) Im not bragging or condemning, just thought it could be prevented in the future.

staciejung

Answer by staciejung at 12:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009