Women who had little prenatal care. Or no prenatal care during pregnancy?

Should Women who had access to private health care during there Pregnancy.

Or Women who had access to free health care during there Pregnancy.

But chose to have little Prenatal Care/Or no Prenatal Care during Pregnancy.

And they end up with a low birth weight baby-A live infant born at less than 2,500 grams. Or they end up with a sick baby.

Have there parental rights to that child removed-Until they prove they are capable of becoming a good Mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on May. 1, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• What the fuck is this formatting oh my god
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:48 AM on May. 1, 2012

• It would depend on the circumstances behind the lack of prenatal care. There should also be a religious exemption. I don't agree with not seeing a doctor during pregnancy, but people should be free to make their own choices when it comes to their faith.

Another hole would come in what qualifies as prenatal care. I would assume certified nurse midwives would be included as being adequate prenatal care, but what about other types of midwives?

I had prenatal care starting at 16 weeks with my first pregnancy - not within my control. Found out I was pregnant at 9 weeks, wasn't seen til 16 weeks due to insurance reasons and scheduling. I had a low birth weight baby - barely - he was born at 5 lbs, 6 oz. Should I have had to prove I was fit?

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:49 AM on May. 1, 2012

• I'm with FreeForAll, please for the love of god! It makes my brain hurt!

To answer what I think your question is, no. Lack of prenatal care doesn't mean someone is a bad parent, it often means they can't afford the doctor visits or health insurance. I don't believe this should be a reason to punish someone.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:02 AM on May. 1, 2012

• Well, based on the DV's someone believes an infant born under 5 pounds should automatically be taken away from the parents and what? Be placed in Foster Care?
    Or that ill children should be placed in Foster Care?

No, I do not believe lack of prenatal care should be the only determining factor in removal of a child.
    Additionally many families do have prenatal care and still have low birth weight, ill newborns.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:09 AM on May. 1, 2012

• Women went thousands of years without prenatal care. Yes prenatal care is very good just in case but during my entire pregnant with my son nothing happened. They just meassured me and said I was moving right along fine. How did that help the health of my baby? It's all about common sense and keeping yourself healthy.

A baby born 5-6 pounds is normal weight from what each of my kids doctors said.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:10 AM on May. 1, 2012

• Their parental rights should not be terminated because they could not afford prenatal care. Think about how many babies would be in foster care if that were the case..ridiculous.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:15 AM on May. 1, 2012

• i would think if they avoided it due to being "found" out they had a drug addction would be the only way, to punish the "working" poor is silly.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:19 AM on May. 1, 2012

• I had full care, and it consisted of getting weighed, prenatal vitamins, measuring my tummy, and ultrasounds. If I hadn't had all that, I would still have had 4 healthy babies. With my first, I didn't gain weight at all, I lost weight. They tried to scare the crap out of me and tell me that I was going to have a 4 pound baby. They acted like I was starving my baby or something, but in reality I was very sick and just couldn't eat a whole lot. My baby was almost 8 pounds, and very healthy. What a bunch of jerks!
    So what if a mother has full prenatal care, and ends up with a tiny preemie or a sick baby? Should she have her baby taken away as punishment? Gimme a break.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:55 AM on May. 1, 2012

• Let's face it, prenatal care is more watchful waiting than anything else. The doctors check that nothing is wrong with the baby - that's all. I mean, if you consider the prenatal care that the vast majority of women get it boils down to getting prenatals (and you don't need the doc for that), getting weighed and having a few ultrasounds. Well, getting weighed and have a a few ultrasounds doesn't actually DO anything... They certainly don't make the baby grow and they don't stop it from being premature.

Anyone can end off with a low-weight baby. Anyone can have a sick baby. There is no correlation between having a small or sick baby and the number of ultrasounds you get.

I don't believe ANYONE should have their parental rights terminated unless it has been proved beyond any possible doubt that they are a bad parent.

Oh, by the way, how does one prove one is a good mother if one's baby is taken away?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:05 AM on May. 1, 2012

• I was able to get prenatal care through medicaid but I did not take any pills or anything because the prenatal vitamins made me super sick. But, I still saw my doctor regularly. I could understand maybe if the person was drugged out their whole pregnancy but just becuase they didnt go see a doctor until they delivered thats not fair. Just think about it there was no such thing as prenatal care before we were born and the idea of how a women should take care of herself has changed so much in the past 10 years its hard to keep up. How about just do what your body tells you. if your hungry eat if your tired sleep if you dont feel right go see the doctor if you cant afford to see a doctor go to the emergency room they have to help you and more than likely if you cna not afford health care they will direct you to ways of getting free or low cost help.
    onekidmom

Answer by onekidmom at 11:19 AM on May. 1, 2012