Selfish??

I was recently called "selfish" in another post for expressing an opinion concerning funding Programs/BC/Abortion in other countries when our own economy is crashing.

I'm not against helping others, but I'm sick and tired of reading the horror stories day after day of children being abused TO DEATH in our own Country and DCS being so underfunded and understaffed that they can't stop it.

Every day children here in the U.S. are being left in, or returned to, homes where they have already suffered severe documented abuse such as broken bones, burns, bite marks, etc. Many before the age of 6 months. These children are usually brutally tortured to death by their parents/caregivers before the age of 2 or 3 years.

We have to save our own children first. These babies did not ask to live every day of their short lives in pain. And our leaders need to step up and put that money into stopping this horror by ANY means necessary.

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no problem with your post here. I did not read your orig one but I'm guessing you probably failed to clarify. When it comes to helping the downtrodden it is essential that we use detail as its very prevalent in our history, that there are Americans new and old, who have benefited greatly from the slaughter of natives, abuse of slaves, and protest of immigrants old and new, that one would appear hateful. I was once world loving, but my realization is the same as yours. Take care of our own first. In my case, I'm aware of how to phrase things coming from my heart, but others who just stamp disapproval, I think rightfully are perceived as having no heart, as they don't back it up, so of course, they are attacked, by the Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you crowd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Probably because there are people focusing on both. Example, someone posted a question about how Oprah had a school for children in Africa, and why she didn't do it here.. what they didn't realize is that she is already doing that. Yes in America there are children that have many problems.. but there are also programs that are SUPPOSE to help (although unfortunately some fall through the cracks in the system)where as these other countries don't have that opportunity AT ALL.. IMO if you want that to change in America you actually have to do something about it yourself, rather than complain about where the funding is going. Start an organization to help children in your own area. The reasons kids fall through the cracks in America, is because of the lack of support. If you want that to change, you as an American, have to make that change yourself.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with you. Spending money on funding BC/family prevention/abortion counsel or clincs internationally during this US economy is wrong, imo. We are broke. We are about to borrow money from our CHILDREN's future to stimulate the econome to the tune of 1 trillion dollars, but we can afford to help social programs overseas? What about all the uninsured children our there in the US, shouldn't that be a greater priority?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The US never gives aid for altruistic reasons. There are always strings attached. For 200 years the government has disguised expansion and strong arming behind a veil of charity or missionary work (ex. we invaded the Philippines because we need a base near China, but they sold it as "saving all those ignorant black people from Catholicism," although the PC term for black was a bit harsher at the time). Any aid that is approved for any nation is done with an ulterior motives (yes, even BO). Problem is, we do NOT need to be more entangled with Mexico's corrupt government than we already are. We need to draw back and watch our own for a while. Let the UN do it's own job for a while - wouldn't that be novel?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Blood diamonds are illegal. If you're wearing a diamond and your fiance/husband is not in organized crime, it probably came from Canada

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No, Canada has diamond mines, several of them.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• IMO, there are many foreign affairs that are important and Obama first week has been spent dealing with many of them. Fine. At some point, when nothing is chaning in our own country, the people are going to lose patience and sympathy for people in other parts of the world. Its hard to see someone elses issues when youre being swallowed by your own. I hope that never happens, but sadly its already becoming apparent that if our own economy doesn't perk up, then we will care very little about the rest of the world. IS that selfish? Maybe, but its understandable.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• all the funds in the world won't allow CPS to intervene and prevent all abuse.
    as for any means necessary, we could be looking at a Brave New World scenario where all kids are taken from their parents at birth and raised in state nurseries, but I'm not willing to give up my kids to the state (not even for education, actually) because someone else abuses their kids.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009