What is wrong with my dauchaund?

Hes apx 18 months old and losing CHUNKS of fur.He itches but has NO fleas.Any product suggestions?

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 8:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Pets

• may be allergies... but i would take him to the vet to make sure it isn't a skin diease.. hope he gets better!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• He might have mange also....vet most def....cause all his hair will fall out...needs attention
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 8:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• go to the vet could be something in his diet i only know this cause i have two long haired he need attention hope he gets better
    Anonymous

• Hi! It sounds like he is stressed over something. We have a dauchaund and I know she has went through this. Contact your vet, because it can get worse and he/she can get very sick from this. Good luck!!
    kristen08079

Answer by kristen08079 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• your pet doesn''t need tp have fleas to start a roller coaster allergic reaction- have your vet apply flea prevention- one bite can cause the allergy. foods with high volumes of corn or beef are also known allergens to dogs- try a lamb/rice based food or a prescription diet from your vet with a novel protein like venison or fish. you must feed this for at least 3 months to really say they are doing better or not.
    good luck!
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 10:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Do you use a pest preventative (like advantix, etc.)? It could be an alergic reaction to something in your yard or house. Some cleaners and insecticides can cause reactions. You can try changing his food to something better, I have a dachshund mix and I feed her Eukenuba. She also was losing fur but got better once we started putting Frontline Plus on her. If you cant afford a vet visit first, you can try changing her diet, maybe buy her a vitamin supplement (they make then for skin and coat health) changing what grooming products you use (look for stuff for sensitive skin or coat health) Make sure you are using a flea preventative. I know Frontline will help with lice/mites. Pay attention to areas of the house and yard your dog goes in and make sure if you spray with insecticides or cleaners that they aren't getting into them. If it doesn't start to look better in a few months take em to the vet.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• i raise dachshunds and it could be a number of things from allergy to stress. your best bet would be to take it to the vet.
    janiec166

Answer by janiec166 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• First and foremost get him to the vet! It could be so many things, allergies, mange, or just plain old hot spots. Once you rule out medical things you can start on home remedies.
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 4:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• get the vet to test for diabetes too...I've heard of that being a symptom for some dogs. Not something my dachsie's gone through, so I have no other ideas Hope he gets better soon!!
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 11:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• i would definitely take it to the vet. my dog (chow/lab) does the same thing during the same time of year and has been diagnosed with kanine lupus. it is treatable, so best of luck.
    aliciatakescare

Answer by aliciatakescare at 2:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2008