How do I find childcare???

I'm a single mother and my daughter just turned 3 months. I need to find work soon, but I don't have anyone close to me that will watch my daughter. I don't wont to leave her with anyone I don't know, but I also am not in the best financial situation and am really thinking of finding a job. The state does help pay for childcare but won't help until you find a job. I definitely can't take her to any interviews with me...did i mention i don't have a car? HELP!!!

ceecee503

Asked by ceecee503 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• So many mothers are going through this. The system helps in one way but not in others. They were talking on the radio about this. Ive been through this and the advice I would offer is to contact the local centers to see if they do drop in services. Also try looking at your local DSS childcare listing and contact some to see if they do drop ins.At least it will help with interviews. Im not sure your location but I have had luck with using the childcare section on Craigs List. Be very selective and find a person that is set up like a center with kids that is willing to drop ins. Go by check them out see if you build repor. Start now and by the time you need them you will find one that you feel comfortable with.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 7:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You could also try posting an ad there and be very specific stating your preferences. You can pretty much weed through the ones who will be good. I would only go with established people who are already doing daycare and not just someone wanting to make extra money. Perhaps if you have a local moms group for your area on here that would be a good way to start also.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 7:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Craigslist is the best option I can think of also. You might also talk to some neighbors.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2009