Should I be liable?

Yesterday after I came home from work I was cooking dinner (had Pasta boiling) and went to to take out the trash. The trash room is down the hall. I usually don't lock the door but somehow I locked the door and didn't realize that until I came back. Anyway, while I'm putting the trash down the chute my keys fell!!!! All my keys!! So I go back to my door and it's lOoked. I went tO my neighbors to call the 24hr on call and I left messages and never received a call back. After5 mins I remembered I had the pasta boiling. My neighbor tells me to call 911. I called 911 and then I hear the smoke detector. After 10 mins they come I called mgmt again and nothing. The fire fighters come and had to bust my doors. Thank God it was just smoke and no fire. An hour after they leave the maintence guy shows up and says there's nothing he can do. I said I can't sleep in my apt with the door open and if I go to a hotel I cant leave my valuables. He repeated nothing he can do. So 2hrs later they sent another maintence guy to put a temp fix on it.

Today I called the office and was told I am liable for the door and locks and the repair..
I'm a single mom and this is going to be over $1000. I'm so upset!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Home & Garden

• legally yes you are liable.

Your marital or parental status has nothing to do with it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:14 PM on May. 1, 2012

• You are liable.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:15 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Yes you are liable. Who else would be? The firefighters that busted the door? The apt manager for not responding to your calls? I'm not being mean, but anything could have happened to you while you were taking out the trash. What if you slipped and knocked yourself unconcious? Then the whole place would have burnt to the ground. Hopefully they will let you pay it in installments.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:17 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I know my martial status has not bearing in just venting that as a single mon it's tough already and u can't afford it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Unfortunately, yes, you would be liable.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Wow that sucks but yes you would be responsible. Good luck.
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 1:36 PM on May. 1, 2012

• yes you are
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:42 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Do you have renter's insurance? You could try that route to see if anything can be covered.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2012

• yup, unless you have renter's insurance and can claim it you have to pay for it. Give a spare key to someone close by. I never leave the apt when something is on the stove. Not bashing, just saying.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2012

• it was your fault it happened so yes, you should pay for it
    couponluv72

Answer by couponluv72 at 5:16 AM on May. 2, 2012