How do I handle (discipline and etc) a 17 month old spirited child?

He whines all the time, throws, and can't sit still for any length of time. My husband and I have no peace at all and I sometimes feel that I wasn't right to be a mom.

jenniferplumley

Asked by jenniferplumley at 8:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might check out the book "To Train Up A Child" by Mike & Debi Pearl
    Anonymous

• 1. he shouldn't be asked to sit and sit. try not to have him in a carseat day in and day out. he's a boy and wants to explore. I think us moms sometimes have a hard time understanding our boys' energy!

2. a GREAT book is Bringing Up Boys, by James Dobson

3. Don't be so hard on yourself-- God gave you your son because He knew you would be the perfect fit. Your baby's attention span is short. Babyproof the house so he is not tempted/ Cannot reach things you don't want him having. Bring him something different, a shiny book, let him get out in the grass, see what he likes to dance to...

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• distraction is a great method. he starts tantuming,grab him, flip him upside down and give him a big old raspberry on his tummy. then put him down. worked on my son.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2008