20 month sleeping issues

My dd started consistently sleeping through the night alone around 10 months. The past couple months she has started waking up after being asleep for around 5 hours. I put her to bed awake and she falls asleep without crying and usually very quickly. She isn't sick and no significant changes have been made to her schedule or routine. When I go into her room she immediately stops crying. It takes anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour before I can leave without her screaming. If I try to bring her into my bed she thinks it is play time. Any advice would be wonderful as I am becoming one tired mama. Thanks!

bugfin

Asked by bugfin at 2:31 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest did this for a while. I would go in and turn on a classical CD and lay down with him until he fell back asleep. Eventually he got okay with me just turning on the CD, and then finally he stopped waking at night.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on May. 1, 2012

• It seems to happen with dd when she's feeling insecure about something, like this last weekend she spent some time in daycare while we were doing classes as part of a retreat and now she's waking up and doesn't go back to sleep with lots of snuggles.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:23 PM on May. 1, 2012

• She is probably gearing up for a growth spurt or major developmental stage. Your life will be easier if you cosleep for a bit

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on May. 2, 2012

• I have tried cosleeping and she thinks that it is play time since she is not in her room anymore. She has never been much of a cosleeper. Her waking just seems very random. Sometimes it is when we have been extra busy or when she has spent a lot of time away from me, but most of the time it is after a typical day.
    bugfin

Comment by bugfin (original poster) at 1:32 PM on May. 2, 2012

• My daughter did this while teething, when she is cold, she is hard to get back to sleep. My mother in law is a nurse in nursery and suggested gripe water. It is all natural for cholic but it also a soothing water with lavender and ginger. I give it when I go in and stand there to soothe with a back rub. We also use her mobile or soother music. I soothe her for 5 min. and then lay on her floor and tell her I am right here. She usually will fall asleep and I can slip out. I hope this helps and you can sleep soon!
    Theresesmom

Answer by Theresesmom at 11:55 PM on May. 5, 2012