SAHM's with +1 child

I am due with #2 in June! DS starts pre-k this fall :) I was a sahm for him his first 3 years of life then found a PT night shift job to help with the bills and get out of the house. While I was a sahm DH had a great paying job but he hated it. He eventually applied for a place he always wanted to work for and got it! But he makes min wage. When baby gets here I will have 4 weeks maternity leave. DH said if I wanted to, I could be a sahm again, which I'd love to be. He has been looking for a better paying job. One place accepted his online request and is awaiting an official application. We did well financially while I was a sahm with DS. How will it be different with 2? I plan to breastfeed and cloth diaper. We also rarely do things exceeding our basic budget.I guess i'm looking for encouragement. Some say I should go for it, some say it'll be a very bad idea. 4 weeks off of work just isnt enough, plus working night shift; I'll be overly exhausted

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:36 PM on May. 1, 2012 in General Parenting

• I vote for being a sahm for baby #2 as well.... it just works out better for bf'ing and stuff. Is the job you have right now super great? Or is it easily replaceable. Maybe you could go back to work in 6 months or a year... somewhere else. If its a job like being a cashier or something.
    Minga88

Answer by Minga88 at 2:40 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I think it all depends on if your hubby gets the job he's trying for and will it be easy for you to find another PT job if for some reason your husbands job does not last?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:42 PM on May. 1, 2012

• When I had my 2nd my ex made very little money. We were on a very tight budget, but my kids and I got to know every playground in town and hit all the toddler storytimes at the libraries, found tons of free things to do. I couldn't leave mine at 4 weeks. Worst thing is you try it and if it's not working in a few months, you can always try to find another part time job.

Answer by missanc at 2:42 PM on May. 1, 2012

• it's not a very easy job to get back, but considering I've been there over a year, worked in many different areas and would leave on good terms, I'd most likely get the job back if they were hiring. If not, I'd just grab any job I could to make ends meet. This is a small town with low end jobs, but my college degree gives me a nice boost. I would definitely only quit my job if DH got that job or just something paying more. I always feel guilty though thinking he'll quit the place of employment he's always wanted to work for. He is very determined to make the family happy though. Very chivalric!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2012

• If at all possible and desirable, I always vote for at least one parent being with the kids. They get the one on one attention they require for optimal development that way.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:40 PM on May. 1, 2012

• they would still get one on one attention if I keep my job because DH works day and I work night. But the thought of working passed midnight then attending to the baby when I get home so DH can sleep...I'd literally get no sleep.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:23 PM on May. 1, 2012

• when your oldest hits 12, is when it is best if someone is around after school. Now is the time to establish your careers, so you both have some work flexibility with teens

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on May. 2, 2012