Update about the infant whose parents got her a tattoo as part of her "Bucket List".

A couple of days ago there was a post about the baby whose parents got her a tattoo as part of her bucket list. The tattoo was not real but many posters thought it was and it caused a bit of a controversy. But, in causing a little bit of an uproar it also brought Baby Avery to the attention of many people. I was recently made aware of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) which is the No. 1 genetic killer of children under the age of 2 in the U.S. via the Bucket List Blog of Baby Avery. Her parents created the blog to bring awareness of SMA to the public because many people are not aware that there is a test that can be done for it. Baby Avery died on April 30th, 2012 due to complications from spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), she would have turned 5 months old on May 11th. Every woman thinking about having a child SHOULD have the test done to check for the gene that causes this disease. If both parents are a carrier there is a 1 in 4 chance that your child will be born with SMA which is ALWAYS fatal and for which there is NO CURE. For more information please check out Avery's Blog  http://averycan.blogspot.com/ . Her parents are still doing what they can to bring awareness about SMA to others. Also, to ALL WOMEN: tell your Ob/GYN about Baby Avery and maybe they'll routinely start offering SMA testing. PLEASE help to spread awareness about SMA!

(I am posting this in different section with different headings for a reason. Baby Avery's story touched me and I want to do my part to help bring awareness.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on May. 1, 2012 in General Parenting

• Her story touched me too, she was such a beautiful little girl. I will always think about her because yesterday was my birthday and for some silly reason I feel like I share something with her now. I can't even imagine how her parents must be feeling. Even though they knew it was going to happen eventually, I bet they didn't think it would happen this fast. My heart goes out to her parents and everyone who has children with SMA and every child who has SMA :(
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 3:04 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Girl, don't post anon!
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:03 PM on May. 1, 2012

• You test before you get pregnant to see if you are a carrier
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 3:15 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Test so if they have it they can abort?
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:11 PM on May. 1, 2012

• FreeForAll...I am only posting Anon because I have a hater on here and I don't want them to post anything negative in a post that shouldn't have any negativity.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Girl! We aren't blind you dont need to post this in every category
    Anonymous

• Anon...not everyone reads every section so I will post wherever I choose to bring awareness. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:15 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Oh an anon..I only posted in THREE different places, not in "every" category. Obviously you are given to being over dramatic.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on May. 1, 2012

• The test should be done prior to getting pregnant so that you know if you and your s/o are both carriers. If both parents are carriers there is a 1 in 4 chance that your child will be born with SMA. If both parents to be are carriers there are alternative methods to still having a child together that erases the risks of SMA (in vitro fertilization, adoption, etc.).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:18 PM on May. 1, 2012

• How does in vitro eliminate the risk of SMA?
    Anonymous