So if they were able to test for Autism invitro as they do Downs or other genetic disorders...

would that to be yet another reason to abort? This is why I almost do NOT want them to find a cause of Autism. The rate of abortion is so high already could you imagine if it became 1 in 88?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• i would not abort based on downs or autism. what a horrid idea
    couponluv72

Answer by couponluv72 at 5:14 AM on May. 2, 2012

• How is it your business?

No really. How.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:16 PM on May. 1, 2012

• It's nice that a post about a child who died of an incurable disease has, once again, devolved into another pointless discussion about abortion that will change no one's stance on the issue.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:17 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Okay, abortion isn't murder. Murder is illegal, abortion is not. It's kind of important that we make that distinction now.

We can CHOOSE to have sex, we can CHOOSE whether or not we have children. Or one child or twelve children. It's our CHOICE. My choice for me, your choice for you. Stay out of mine, you are not welcome in it.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:27 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Yep.

Nobody has to justify their reasons to abort to anyone but themselves, fyi.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:45 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Feel that way all you want, Grace...doesn't mean someone should be forced to give birth to one when they don't want to.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:55 PM on May. 1, 2012

• So it doesn't matter if a family is financially/emotionally equipped to handle said child, Lovin?

Anyone's reason for abortion is none of your business, by the way, just so you know.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:11 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I have three children with autism and fragile-x syndrome. The latter is a genetic disorder that comes from a gene I carry. i didn't know I carried it. The common question I get is "If you knew you carried the gene would you have had children?" I say, I wouldn't have aborted, but would I have taken precautions to not become pregnant? I don't know....honestly, I might have....not because I wanted perfect children, but because I wouldn't have thought I could have been a good parent to one with autism/FXS let alone 3 of them....It may not have been the life I would have chosen for myself or my children, but now that I have this life, I wouldn't change it for the world ! They were meant to be here ! and I love them !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:05 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I was 35 with dd. Dh and I both said no to all those tests. I knew in my heart I would love this child no matter what.

Every mother has their own reason to do things.

In most cases it may help parents get ready for the hard times.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 4:05 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I do not think op was looking for anyone to justify their decisions. I may be mistaken but I took it that she was thinking about the decline in the number of livebirths that might be a result. She did mention the high abortion rate but for me it was one of those "an you imagine how much higher it may go because of it
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:05 PM on May. 1, 2012