Why do women think other women have to justify their abortions?

Seriously - why do you think it's your business if Jane Doe had an abortion because the baby had SMA/Downs or because she couldn't afford the baby, didn't want it, etc?

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 4:15 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• First, I'm pro choice for others but I can't imagine having an abortion myself (Of course, menopause makes that a moot point anyway but, whatevs).

Having said that, I'm sincerely curious. We often hear of people who wish to end their lives when faced with a terminal illness that will significantly impact the remainder of their lives, however short that may be. Typically, research indicates that most are supportive of assisted suicide in these cases.

Why then, are we so cavalier about bringing a baby into the world when it's entire life will be spent in pain, on powerful medications, hooked to machines and who knows what else? Is it for the babies sake?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:27 PM on May. 1, 2012

• They don't have to justify it to me, but I don't have to withhold my opinion on it either. If it is a "private decision" I shouldn't know about it for commentary.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:19 PM on May. 1, 2012

• because those who are adamantly opposed to it do believe it is murder, whether it is recognized legally as such, or you think its not, doesn't matter.
    its a life terminated. end of life. end of story.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:02 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Women don't have to justify there reasons for abortion to me. That doesn't mean I agree with abortions.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:16 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Brawny- it's because every life is a blessing. if you dont want kids keep your legs shut. the baby didnt ask to be conceived. women who have sex need to suffer the consequences of their choices and not punish the baby.

yeah, i can recite the party line.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:31 PM on May. 1, 2012

• No one has to justify it to me. It's legal, and someone else's abortion is none of my business.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:54 PM on May. 1, 2012

• As a woman, I don't. The only time I have a strong reaction to abortion is when the mother has waited until the last minute to have one and a child that would be viable out of the womb is given a death penalty just because she doesn't want to deal with it. FTR, I am speaking only about late term elective abortion (which I know doesn't probably happen often, but it does happen), elective being the operative word.

Even then I suppose it's not my business, but it's a disgusting practice.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:55 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Because it is a baby...and someone has to stand up for the rights of the unborn. Where does it stop when innocent life is so devalued? As far as war is concerned, countries settle disputes with bloodshed, but they are adults making decisions of life and death. Although innocent civilians are often killed in the crossfire, adults make the decision to fight. The unborn is just an innocent pawn in marital decisions and that is just wrong. Abortion should be rare and never for the parents convenience, as is so often the case. Planned Parenthood should not receive a penny of tax payer money. Both the innocence of the unborn and the unjust use of taxpayer money MAKE it our business, thank you very much! What kind of humanity destroys the innocent and what might they do if further motivated by self-indulgent desires?
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:53 PM on May. 1, 2012

• we could always review the George Carlin routine for a better understanding...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:22 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Because people have strong opinions in both directions. People are GOING to butt heads over the issue. Which ever side of the fence you are on you will NEVER understand the other side because it is THAT big of a gap. So while no one 'has' to justify their reasoning there will always be people who want them to try.

I, for one, can not fathom any reason as being 'good enough' to end a life outside of viability and mental health of the mother. I will always be baffled by other women's openness to the 'procedure'. But on the other side I know there are women who can not fathom being 'forced' to give birth for whatever reason. It is just a difference in strong opinion.
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 4:48 PM on May. 1, 2012