Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what does someone do when they are aware of the fact that there are parents that favor a younger child over an older one and it's obvious to anyone who comes in contact with them? Also they constantly scream at the older child who is 8 yrs old and has developed a nervous tic. This child has never had a friend over to play or has gone to a friend's house. The older child can't move unless the younger one is included and the older is a girl and the younger is a 5 yr old boy.

I believe she is being verbally and emotionally abused. She even mimicks her mother's way of baby talking her sibling.
I am afraid to report this because of the fact that she may be taken away or the parents may move out of state and who knows what they may do to her.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Can you talk to her spouse?

    Answer by TXdanielly at 10:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • That poor child. Its hard to have to report something but if you've ever read "a child called it", you never know whats going on behind closed doors. In the book, it was same situation but the abused boy went through very horrific thing. You can report anonymously and i would do so for the sake of that child. You'd feel better doing so if something was going on there very wrong.

    Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

  • report it. if they move, there are actions taken. plus, i don't think you can move if you are under investigation. sounds like there is some imprisonment thign going on there. report it.

    Answer by princezzmommie at 2:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

  • Report it, you can do so anonymously if that makes it easier. (Sometimes the parents can figure out who it was based on what was said, so try to give info that won't relate to something that only you would've been able to see if you do it anonymously.) You will feel more at ease if you can tell yourself that you at least tried to do something. Trust your instincts--if it doesn't look or feel right, then it probably isn't right.

    Answer by romeece at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

  • you have to report it. do it anonymously. call child protective services (they have a hotline) and give as much detail as you can to support your claim. if there is any physical evidence, photoraph it.

    Answer by aliciatakescare at 2:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.