For those who make home-made mac and cheese do you add flour?

My recipe calls for 16 lbs of elbow pasta with 1 pint of heavy cream, 1 lb of cheddar cheese, and do I need to add some flour to it? I don't remember or... is that it? Bake it on 350 and add tomatoes on top! ;) With some pepper and salt for taste :) ?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:07 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Food & Drink

• No, my recipe doesn't call for flour I don't think. I do add 2 tbs dry mustard. Makes all the difference
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:08 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I never have, though now I am going to try the dry mustard. That sounds yummy!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:10 PM on May. 1, 2012

• 16 lbs of pasta? Holy cow..

I guess flour is only common if you make a bechamel sauce and then add the cheese to that.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:10 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I don't think so. 16 lbs of pasta? Are you feeding a heard of elephants?!?!?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:12 PM on May. 1, 2012

• usually not, i do not like it as well when it starts with a roux.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:12 PM on May. 1, 2012

• It calls for a lot! LOl we will have a ton left over. LOL I guess I mean 16 oz LOL NOT Lbs!!!!! Soo sorry I can't stop laughing that I put lbs.
    Hesmynavyman

Comment by Hesmynavyman (original poster) at 8:14 PM on May. 1, 2012

• LOL, 16 oz is a normal amount!!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:15 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Mine does. I make a roux first with butter and flour, then add the milk. When it's thickened, I add the cheese.

1 lb of cheese sounds like a lot for 1 lb of pasta. I usually do 8 oz and it's plenty cheesy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2012

• LOl I didn't add flour I saw some recipes online here that called for flour. But I used 16 ounces of pasta elbow, 1 lb cheese and the pint of heavy cream lol fating but sure does sound good. Mine called for bread pieces with olive oil and basil yum.
    Hesmynavyman

Comment by Hesmynavyman (original poster) at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2012

• How long do I need to bake it I made it once and did loose my original recipe and since there are like 100's of ways to make it I can't find it anymore.
    Hesmynavyman

Comment by Hesmynavyman (original poster) at 8:53 PM on May. 1, 2012