No more diaper/formula bags,Only promote breastfeeding,despite mothers wishes/needs.

I had a baby not long ago and had a good start coupon to receive free diaper/formula bag and found out they do not believe in promoting formula fed babies only breastfeed babies.
If you want to feed your baby anyother way you need to have someone bring in formula.
I feel this is discrminitory to mother that can't or do not believe in it or dangerous to a hungry baby.
I reported it and nothing got done since it is hospital policy,but it's not posted anywhere?
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• halfpint the point is they have no right to try to force anyone to breastfeed or shove it down their throat at any point. it is our option as mothers to choose how to feed our children not the hospitals. i ff all of my children and they are just as healthy if not healthy than bf babies. it is noones choice but mine the hospital lied to her and tried to force her or push her into bf when that is not what she wanted. and if i don't want to try bf that is my choice not yours not the hospitals not the neighbors.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's discriminatory to not give you free stuff? Sign up on the formula maker websites and they will gladly send you a sample. The hospitals are not under any kind of mandate to hand out formula.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Op~Cont..
    It's not about the item it's about the fact i found out in such a shocking manner that my baby could of starved since they do not help with any formula related issues,only breastfeeding and if they give you any diaper/formula bags it's prmoting a unhealthy practice to a baby,that is the point.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• How many moms really go into labor not knowing anything at all about formula or breastfeeding? I mean that the bag would be the absolute first time they found out about it. Extremely small number.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Halfpint you did not get the post it's not about the free items but finding out there policy and that they will not give out formula to a newborn there ,only a mothers milk is allowed,well what happens if she can't due to no milk ?
    I had a baby not long ago and they offer you a choice and provide milk in a bottle.
    So the fact this happened is horrible and discrimitory to a mother and unhealthy to a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I went into wanting to breastfeed my baby and did not think about asking if only that is allowed i mean yes they offer lactation consultants but i thought i will do what my body allows at that time,but to not be allowed either option is just horrible,should all mother know ask such questions for fear of how there baby will be nourished...insane this is what can happen..
    I'm lucky the hospital cared what is best for the baby and not just thier beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I disagree. Women have time and an obligation to research the policies and procedures at the hospital they choose to give birth in. Tour the facility, ask about the formula/breastfeeding policy. It is dangerous that women choose to go in blindly not knowing anything. THAT is irresponsible. Not the hospital's policy.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Op I have a few questions about your post: who are the "they" that you are talking about and where is the place? I don't understand because it seem like you have a coupon for a bag, but can't get it because you formula feed, but then it also seems like you are going into some place, and then in general I don't get how it causes you harm. I am really missing something about your concern. Can you clarify?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Besides, if the baby really, absolutely needed it.....such as they are in the NICU being tube fed...they have it. There is no way the doctors would ignore the medical needs of an infant that truly needs it in an emergency.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• there shouldn't be a formula/breastfeeding policy if i choose to formula feed they should provide the formula and advice i need about the formula during my stay inn the hospital its not like im not going to pay for it when i get that big fat bill. it is not their decision how i feed my child
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2009