Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps


My 4 years old has autism. He's at a 2 years old level with everything. he needs speech, physical and occupational therapies.

I finally got him approved to start Special Ed pre-K in our public shcool system [which took me a 1 year and 1/2 to get him in becasue of budget cuts...] where he gets group speech 2 days a week but he needs extra help and individually.

Does he qualify for disability? can use that check twords the therapies he needs? Our insurence will NOT cover any of and I was even told by a case worker that most insurence companies see it as an "inconvenience " not a disability....

I'm making ends meat and so his my fiance and we have a baby on the way. We're not in the poor house [yet lol] and I've never collected gov. assistance before so I'm not exactallysure how this works. So any help he qualifies for would certainly bare us the dread of opening those medical bills.


Asked by Jersey_class at 8:32 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Kids' Health

Level 12 (855 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Even if you have insurance through your job, you may qualify for medicaid because of disability. I don't have SSI, but my son get services through Medicaid as he is disabled. He has two other insurances and the Medicaid insurance. I live in PA and that is how it is, and has been, here.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:04 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • It's possible he might qualify for ssi. It would be based on your income/assets - you basically can't have any savings at all. Have you signed up for the medicaid waiver program for your state - that will likely be your greatest source of help

    Answer by missanc at 8:44 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • my daughter 4.5 has moderate autism
    i started with SS disability papers at 3, she will be 5 this summer
    *although i am not trying for any SS money*
    i got SS disability approved FINALLY last december-just a form that states disability
    so daughter can get on the Autism Waiver list for ABA therapy (her private insurance has zero autism therapy)

    call your local autism society, they can direst you to forms that need to be filled out
    i have no idea on money for disability
    but you will need to fill out tons of paperwork AND SS disabilty to get federal autism waiver - which then you get on waiting list of year and a half (in my state and county) to then get ABA (applied behavoir analysis)

    call local autism society - so helpful - the paperwork is staggering, and need people to let you know what services are avail and how to apply

    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 8:45 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • *ps if SS denies, send 'intent to appeal' back in the envelopw they supply BUT place it in another envelope -send through post office with certified signed for mail (forget the term-lol)
    this makes someone sign for your intent to appeal, therefore your intent is not in a huge pile but in someones hand

    worded for me

    guessing the money for SS about the same for SS for autism disabilty

    will need a certain report from autism doc too, ask your autism doc to make sure he/she fills out correct form for federal autism waiver
    we had GARS
    and year and a half ago in my state - this was one of two that federal will take

    Answer by fiatpax at 8:50 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • You may qualify for Medicaid type services through the school system

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • I have insurence thru my job so I sadly don't qualify for Medicaid. I live in New jersey and it is SOO hard to get anything since our gov came into office. I took me A YEAR to just get him IN school ....I feel like I may need a laywer for this =(

    this is all so new to me. I'm only making $10 an hour my typical paycheck is 800 a month.

    Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 9:00 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • Hmmm I never knew that! Thank you ladies you are all so helpful!

    Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2012

  • if he has been diagnosed properly then he should be able to get approved for SSI for children including medicare/medicaid depending on how your state handles the health care part. some offer medicaid to disabled children to cover medicare short falls. you would get a check monthly that you can use on any expense your child has.

    Answer by couponluv72 at 3:37 AM on May. 2, 2012

  • What state do you live in? I know well how things work on my state but don't know what laws/services are available in others. I'm in NC.

    Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on May. 2, 2012

  • The Medicaid waiver program provides non income based Medicaid but also provides other services depending on your state - some offer ABA, some offer respite, mine offers a one on one worker to work with my son on specified goals for 29 hours during the school year, 40 hours/week during the summer.
    Call your local autism society - they should have a list of services available in your area. When I was single my son received around $600/month in ssi, but I made very little money (full time student, worked part time).

    Answer by missanc at 8:40 AM on May. 2, 2012