No more diaper/formula bags,Only promote breastfeeding,despite mothers wishes/needs.

I had a baby not long ago and had a good start coupon to receive free diaper/formula bag and found out they do not believe in promoting formula fed babies only breastfeed babies.
If you want to feed your baby anyother way you need to have someone bring in formula.
I feel this is discrminitory to mother that can't or do not believe in it or dangerous to a hungry baby.
I reported it and nothing got done since it is hospital policy,but it's not posted anywhere?
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Health

• So they won't provide formula? What happens to those babies who are unfortunate enough that their mother doesn't survive birth? It does happen....What is that baby supposes to eat?

What about the mother who had a double mastectomy and absolutely cannot breastfeed? How is refusing to provide sufficient nourishment to that baby promoting it's general welfare?

The hospital may be able to get away with not providing formula and requiring the mother to provide it's own....but the original poster said it wasn't posted anywhere? So they wait to tell these mothers until they've already delivered or are delivering? What the hell is the baby supposed to eat until someone can bring formula in to the hospital?

The hospital may have the right to create such a one-sided, non-nurturing policy...but to not have it posted or notify the mothers ahead of time is WRONG.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• probably get kicked out of the hospital. it is not their place to tell you that you have to breastfeed. the can inform you of the benefits and so on but to deny you of formula becuz they don't believe in that is just utterly wrong. i would be calling the board of directors or someone high up in the hospital and expressing my opinions in a not so very polite way but thats just me.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The hospital told you this? I'd find out who oversees hospitals to ensure patient safety, etc. and report them for that. They're basically saying if you don't want to/can't breastfeed, your child will go hungry while you're in the hospital, and that completely goes against the entire purpose of a hospital, which is to ensure the health of all patients.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I breastfed my first child for 6 months--until he was eating baby food/crackers. I had moved to a different state by the time my second child was born, and when I met with the Lactation Consultant (required before being discharged!) at this hospital, I was told in no uncertain terms that to breastfeed for LESS than TWO YEARS was a DETRIMENT to my child!!!

Naturally, my husband and I had a little "chat" with the Hospital Administrator...who AGREED the LC overstepped her bounds a tad!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well you guys need to go to the second question she posted on this. theres quite a few nit wits that think the hospitals have the right to have this policy. god people really get to me go read some of the answers
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Jodi, did the OP post this qyestion in another topic? I dont think anyone here was anything but very agreeable to the OP.
    PracticalMagick

Answer by PracticalMagick at 8:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• yea the question is posted twice and the second question the are not agreeable they are actually quite ignorant saying that the hospital is in the right.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• its posted in pregnancy also go check it out
    jodi205

• Well the hospital is in the right if its a private hospital. I know that not long ago really there wasnt even formula around and it was developed later in the 70s I think? Anyway think about this. Our moms and grandmas didnt get anything for free and had to breastfeed. If you wanted to formula feed back then you brought your own. Its amazing how far our country has come from that. And just because a statement isnt something you agree with doesnt make the person disagreeing with you ignorant, it just means they dont agree with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• okay again she is not asking for anything for free it is the point that they basically shoved bf down her throat and that is not their decision.and nothing is free check out that hospital bill when you get it you are charged for every little thing you use. and to think the hospital is right to make the decision for you on how to feed your child is ignorant
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009