I want to buy a bass guitar. Where should I start?

And can someone point me towards any resources for self teaching? Books, youtube, whatever...thanks.

WHERE'S THE MUSIC CATEGORY, CM?!

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• FINE! I don't know why I always have to do all the work.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:10 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Well brawny it's because you are obviously the bitch in your relationship, that's why!!! * runs*
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:39 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I'd visit a music store/ shoppe, and try out a few, talk about lessons there. Get an idea of what you like, then you can search pawn shops, amazon, ebay, and so on for a good price.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:04 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I cannot tell you how to start but I can tell you that over the last year I have purchased two ukulele's, a violin and a cello off Ebay and have been very pleased with all.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:08 PM on May. 1, 2012

• A good medium range bass to start with for a beginner would be Ibanez. A comparable alternative would be Peavey. For quality, you will want to be in the $300 - $400 range.

For self teaching, I would pick a song you like and the use Ultimate-guitar.com to look up the chords and finger placement. It helps to be playing something you like and listen to regularly. This will help you learn basic placement and how to play by ear.

There are also some good tutorials on YouTube. If you are better with visual learning this might be an option for you.

You can also go to guitarcenter.com and look through the different beginner teaching resources. They have different books with scales and chords, etc. If you find one that looks like it would work for you, that would be a good way to learn basic theory.

Also, some companies sell beginner packages with their instruments including educational videos and booklets.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:14 AM on May. 2, 2012

• PS, here is a link to a bass I found on eBay. This would be an excellent starter bass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-SRA500TK-4-String-Bass-Transparent-Black-NEW-/320895243542?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ab6d8d516#ht_2082wt_689
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:27 AM on May. 2, 2012

• meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:38 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Brawny, find me a bass.

I'm going to bed GOODNIGHT.
    FreeForAll

Comment by FreeForAll (original poster) at 11:10 PM on May. 1, 2012