What would you do?

IF you found out that your back is giving out and the doctor you see says you need surgery. Are going to just do it? or would you get a second or third opinion?

As for the medical field they don't care if you can get around or not or if you seriously need the surgery or not.

To me, I feel it's an opinion on his matter. I know most doctors practice is money hungry, yet some actually do care about you and your situation (life) As a mother that does so much. I do not believe in surgery because everyone I met so far that did have a back surgery, was worse than they ever were before the surgery. I feel a little pressure and afraid. Especially since I still need to take care of a young one, and still be there for the older children. Decisions to make. What would you do?

I really want to go to every doctor till I am told "Ma'am you don't need surgery, you will be just fine with ongoing physical therapy to strengthen your back and keep it strong & healthy that way"

Or am I just being delusional?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on May. 2, 2012 in Health

• for anything major like surgery i would always and always have gotten a second opinion at least. and maybe asking what possible alternatives have not been explored yet. i would love to hear that about my hip that is messed up, but my pain Dr says she suspects a degenerative situation in which surgery will be somewhere down the road. physical therapy has not helped diddly
    couponluv72

Answer by couponluv72 at 4:54 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Thanks, I am sorry to hear about your hip. Hope all goes well down the road.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 AM on May. 2, 2012

• I would get a second opinion
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:16 AM on May. 2, 2012

• I would get a second opinion, but if you hear from more than 2 doctors that you need surgery, then you are being delusional in thinking that you will find a doctor that doesn't think so. I can say that physical therapy doesn't always work, my DH has been in physical therapy for over a year know with no improvement on his back at all. He was told he just needs to deal with it, I am sure he would rather hear that surgery would help him not be in ridiculous pain 24/7.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:22 AM on May. 2, 2012

• 2nd opinion
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:13 AM on May. 2, 2012

• You should always get a second opinion. And if you still aren't comfortable get a third one. If all three doctors tell you the same thing then you need to consider al your options. Unfortunately, sometimes surgery is the only one unless you are prepared to lay in bed in pain all day everyday. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:26 AM on May. 2, 2012

• My husband is going through this. He did oral steroids, NSAIDs, physical therapy and had the back injections. He either gets surgery and risks being in pain forever and his military career ending or he doesn't and he's in pain forever and his military career ends. It's a gamble but he can't deploy with a bad back and his career is on hold. He sees a neurosurgeon in a few weeks.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:45 AM on May. 2, 2012

• That happened to me when I was 25. I started seeing a chiropractor, who thinks I may need the surgery some day. I am 52, and still doing great, without the surgery

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Thanks ladies I appreciate all your help!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:02 AM on May. 5, 2012