does anyone have any natural home remedies or OTC ideas for a child under 3?

my 2 1/2 yr. old has a cough & no one can get any sleep for her coughing/crying half the night & getting up & down with water, peppermint, & just for hugs. =( we just need some sleep.

mirandasunshine

Asked by mirandasunshine at 7:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Health

• Lots of water and/or juice during the day. When my kids are sick, I try to avoid milk because it seems to thicken the phlegm. And honey, the darker the better. I've read that buckwheat honey is best and that it works even better than cough syrups, but my kids won't take it, so I use wildflower honey. Good luck!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You can boil down equal amounts of fresh ginger and garlic. Then reduce to a syrup. Add honey. Works for all ages for everything from sinuses to coughs to colds to flu. It is really great. Give a couple spoonfulls as needed.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Remembering that coughing is the bodies way of ridding fluid and congestion in the lungs b/c left in the lungs can cause pneumonia, might help just knowing that its a good thing. Likely, during the day while shes up and about, her sinuses are draining, but she's able to swallow it down and her movement makes it easier to clear. But at nite when she is lying down, it all settles in the chest. So discovering the reason for the sinus drainage might be the first clue on what to do. If its allergies, looking for the offending cause can help.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:09 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• continued... Like in the winter time, the direction of the sun changes and can allow mold and mildew to grow along the window sills, and other various areas in the home, including the carpet. If its an illness, I would just suggest making sure she gets plenty of good protein, veg. and fresh fruits which will help the body build her own immunities and wellness. Fast/junk foods don't have any nutrition to help the body fight. :) Doesn't sound like much help, but might explain and make you feel more in control of the situation. :)
    lifeasinoit

• Navy-wife's answer is an excellent idea. I grew up with my mom stirring honey and lemon juice together. Its tasty. My centurian Pediatrition taught her patients families that the honey (or peppermint) is sticky so it grabs hold of the phelgm and the lemon (or vinegar or ginger) cuts it loose so that it can be coughed up more easily. :)

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• 100% pure maple syrup, the real stuff-the corn syrup. We give our daughter 1-2 Tbsp as needed and it has always worked faster and longer than anything OTC and has no dangerous chemicals!
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2009