11 year old son unable to fall asleep........help!

My 11 year old son, 6th grader, has been having a really hard time falling asleep over the past week. He is clingy with me and I have never had this problem with him before. I have limited video games and any scary TV but he said he is afraid he is "going to die". He wants to sleep on my floor to be close to me. Has anyone had this experience with tween and if so, what can I do?

amy16

Asked by amy16 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Has there been a death close to him recently? Even a serious illness or accident? I would ask him where this fear is coming from and reassure him that he is okay. Also contact the teacher or guidance counselor and see if he is having problems in school, sometimes especially boys will tell us one thing is bothering them because they don't want us to know the truth.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with goalie and would also see if hes having any nightmares? That can affect a childs sleep too and as they get older they dont like to tell us they are having them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Something doesn't sound right - I'd put him in the car and drive and talk. Kids will open up more this way because you can't look at them, and they don't have to look at you. Plus, there are no distractions.
    It may just be a phase, but I've taught 6th graders, and that doesn't sound normal.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 10:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Take him out for a drive,like go to a place that he likes to go,like an amusement park someplace, also take him to a doctor, or go to a store like giant eagle, and buy a medicine called "melatonin" or something like that,its a sleep aid that makes him tired,and it will make him fall asleep cause hell get so drousy,it helps me alot
    Niddyann1121

Answer by Niddyann1121 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009