How are you supposed to get experience.....

if every place is only hiring people with experience? I look in my local want ads and online postings and have even seen busboys listed with 1 year experience required! Is the job market this bad everywhere? I am in Glens Falls NY.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Im in Michigan and we too have a very tough job market. Its dog eat dog.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I know - dumb, isn't it? But I think they will overlook that if you can prove that you can do the job. If you have continuously cleaned at home, I guess that would count as experience.
    I know that some jobs will take college education time as part of the experience time they are looking for.
    Best wishes to you! Never give up applying for a job because of something in an ad. If you believe you are qualified for the job then apply for it and prove it to them in the interview. You can do it!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I am guessing the only way to get experience is to take a lower position and then move to the one that you really prefer. I totally understand your frustration. I was once in the job market searching and it seemed rather crazy to me too. Another idea is to contact your local employment agency and ask them about open positions in the area you want or need.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i went to school for L.N.A and when i was looking for a job everyone wanted 1 year xperience i was like alright im fresh out of school great grades and no one wants me.. great. how can i gain xperence when no one was willing to hire me or even try me. its tough. and very dissapointing.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Even when they ask for experience you can list things you did as volunteer work. So lets say you have no job exp as a busboy. Go and volunteer for a soup kitchen and then you have experience and can fluff your resume with things. For instance I am a tutor for University Instructors and had no exp. I was however on the PTA and volunteered to tutor after school, and was in college. They took that as experience even though I was never paid for it coupled with being enrolled in college.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some employment agencies will let you participate in online job training for free or low cost. You may want to look around in your area for this option. You could also try gaining experience from running your own small home based business or volunteering. I agree with gemgem... don't forget to list your volunteer work as part of your experience on your resume and fluff away!
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I volunteered with an adult learning program, working with adults who were trying to pass the GED. The next year they hired me, and I have been working there for 3 years. I am curretnly 4 months away from my bachelor's in secondary education/ English, when Isubmit my resume for my first teaching job I'll have three years of experience. in other words GemGem has the right idea, volunteering can really help you get your foot in the door
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2009