im tryiing to potty train my 21month old because she is starting to take her diapers off.Is really ready to potty train?

I am trying to potty train my 21 month old but no luck.what do i need to do in order to start?I tried waiting until she gets up from naps but no luck,or I will sit her on the toilet 20 minutes after she drinks.she will never go but once I get her off the toilet she will pee all over herself.I need help...

kenna75

Asked by kenna75 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's doesn't mean so completely but it can. Does she ever tell you when she goes pee or poop and does she feel icky in it? Is she dry when waking in the morn? If not, she may not be ready and I wouldn't force it. Seems too young and if she is truly ready it shouldn't take longer than a month.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well, it doesnt usually happen overnight. She may or may not be ready. Ive two children. One was totally potty trained by 18months. My youngest was 3.5 and was still wearing pull ups at night after 5yrs. Your litttle one is taking her diaper off because she can lol. Not necessarily because she is ready for potty training. I would continue trying for a couple weeks. But.........dont get upset with your daughter if she isnt ready yet :). Good luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Taking off dirty or wet diapers is not really a sign. If a newborn baby could do it, he would. Instead they just scream until a grown up does it for them. Most babies and toddlers don't like the feeling of being in a dirty diaper - but they aren't ready to train.
    Waking up dry is also not a sign. Over 20% of kids still wet the bed at 5 years old - but they are fully potty trained. What you do while asleep has nothing to do with what you are capable of while awake.
    Being dry for 2 to 3 hours at a time during the day, while awake, is a sign that the child has learned to hold in his pee.
    Being willing to sit on the potty is a sign.
    Being interested in what others do on the potty is a sign.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'd back off for a while. Put one piece outfits on her so she can't get to the diaper or put duct tape over the diaper tabs. If you want, keep putting her on the potty for a few mintues after her nap. Read her a short story and then put a diaper on her. Eventually, she will go in the potty and you can heap praise on her. After doing that a few times, she will start to get it. By then, she may be more willing to launch into full training.
    kaycee14