Why do they tell you not to take a hot bath?

Im 13/14 weeks prego and have a lot of back pain...so i love to take hot baths...why do doctors say NOT to? Anyone still take hot baths?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 8:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that they worry more about hot tubs and saunas etc. A hot bath should not hurt you, just limit your time in the tub. It can be a great way to help relax your muscles, and your mind. I would not worry at all, I take baths sometimes when my back gets bad, and I have 2 very healthy children and a healthy one on the way.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i was never told not to. they told me to take a hot bath when i was towards the end of my pregnancy to help with any contractions. but if they told you not to i would think there would be a reason, so maybe you could get a re heatable pad that you can put on your back (that's what i also did for my back pain)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 8:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• because the baby is too young to be able to regulate its own temperature. so it could cause brain damage if it gets too high or id imagine kill it? I hated that because I LOVED HOT BATHS lol i had to settle for warm ones. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I take my baths VERY hot and this is my second pregnancy. My daughter is fine. This baby is fine. I think in order to get the bath too hot for the baby, it would be too hot for you.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• its more of a bacteria build up then the water temp i was told its ok too do but don't stay in too long and not too do it too often
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 9:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't generally take baths but my showers are steamy hot (turn my skin red) my two are fine, but I wasn't immersed either. I actually was told no hot tobs, not no hot baths
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have a hot bath almost everynight now. It's the perfect way to relax before bed.
    But I'm 37w1d..
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it's ridiculous. They say your body temp. shouldn't get too high cause of the baby's blood flow, but I have never, ever heard of someone's baby being disabled because their mom took hot baths! I have heard a lot of horror stories, but nothing involving hot baths. I take them every day now or every other day and I like them hot. My belly isn't submerged all the way so I'm not worrried, but I never took them in the first trimester. I was too paranoid.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009