Do you think that taxes should be raised on the 1%? To balance the budget?

Permanently? Reagan did it to reduce the debt. Clinton did it and eliminated all debt.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 8:15 AM on May. 2, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• If taxes are raised will the needless spending stop?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:18 AM on May. 2, 2012

• oh yeah, the evil one percent pay for everything else, let them pay off the debt too.
    Heavy sarcasm included.
    I'm so damn sick of this discussion. Go ahead and tax the wealthy some more, and when you don't get it-- hit the middle class harder for the money because they don't have the resources to dodge Uncle Sam.
    The number one rule to getting rich is to stop paying taxes. They perfected that art already, so take the money from the people who have no idea how to do that yet.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:32 AM on May. 2, 2012

• There are members of the millionaires club that have been pushing for higher taxes on the members of this club because they do not believe it is fair that they (millionaires) pay less in taxes than their employees do. If they can see it, why can't the government?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:42 AM on May. 2, 2012

• 20% of America pays 70% of all taxes,,and I have no idea where people think rich people pay less taxes,, I think the way to balance the budget is to stop needless spending, and there is plenty of it going around.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:15 AM on May. 2, 2012

• eliminate all the tax shelters for the rich and there might not be a need to do anything else
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:19 AM on May. 2, 2012

• For the wealthy population that are in favor of paying more in taxes, I have to wonder how many have voluntarily given Uncle Sam more of their own dough without being forced to? My guess is not many.

Taxing the 1% at a higher rate won't balance the budget (and what budget are we talking about?  We haven't had one in 3 years).  We are too deep in the debt hole to depend on the 1% for a life preserver.  We need tax reform and every citizen needs to be invested in the future of our country, not just 53% of us.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:35 AM on May. 2, 2012

• I love how they can always raise taxes for us to pay when they screw up. What if we spend too much and get in the hole, can they pay for our mistakes? Doesn't seem fair does it?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:36 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Our Congress needs to spend the funds they recieve from the 50 percent who pays taxes more wisely. We could take all the wealth from the top 1 percent and the budget would not be balanced. The issue is a spending issue. The Government needs to shrink and cut many departments that are not needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Speaking of taxes I recently heard that Obama has said that he wants to raise taxes by 11% on all Americans who make $200,000 or less. Yes that is right less. Boy hat sounds like a plan.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Do you have a link for that, anon? I would be interested in reading that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:50 AM on May. 2, 2012