A quote to discuss

George Bernard Shaw:

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:23 AM on May. 2, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I think many of us use our own interpretation of scripture that often suits our lifestyle at the moment. "the bible according to meooma...type thing" "the bible according to pastor john"....etc
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:25 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Sounds about right ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:47 AM on May. 2, 2012

• i think it points to how any written word can be interpreted however the reader takes it. We all take different things from it b/c our life experiences are different. We look at the world through our own set of glasses.
    And the bible is no different.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:00 AM on May. 2, 2012

• I think it has a very good point. But do we even know what we're reading anymore? It's been translated so much, how can we be sure that the translations are correct?

And really, it's just like any book. People will read into it what they want to. Take The Hunger Games for instance. There were people who were surprised that Rue was played by a black girl in the movie. One person even commented that Rue was supposed to be blond! Never does the book say that! In fact, it says quite the opposite! They probably read it wrong because Katniss compared Rue to Prim... but that's just one example of the role reading comprehension plays in our interpretation of any book we read... even the Bible.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:51 AM on May. 2, 2012

• the 33,000 denominations of Christianity pretty much prove this statement.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:31 PM on May. 2, 2012

• If it wasn't true, there wouldn't be so many denominations of both Judaism and Christianity, not to mention the propensity of some people to insist that others are flat out wrong for including all the words that are written.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on May. 2, 2012

• True. It seems that way alot here and iRL.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:39 AM on May. 2, 2012

• ^I think that's part of the point...of the quote and the book.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:14 AM on May. 2, 2012

• Nah, I believe the Bible means what it says. As a Jew, I personally go with what I believe ate G-d's rules of interpretation (Oral Law) but ultimately, I think phrases like this are just trying to say that I can interpret however I please and it should be considered truth because G-d was really teasing us with His "word", just having a chuckle at what we can come up with. Just another glorification of relative and personal morality above considering something wrong even if someone else really, really wants to do and since apparently it doesn't hurt anyone he should have a right to do it. Or consideting something right even if modern society starts wondering if it is right or not.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:43 AM on May. 2, 2012

• The religious, in general, are determined that the words in the bible don't mean what they say. That they "need" to be interpreted--sometimes to mean something entirely OPPOSITE of what the words, themselves, say. I personally think that when I quote their "holy" books chapter and verse, they go into denial and start scambling for an opposite explanation. Some days that can be my best entertainment.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:01 PM on May. 2, 2012