How much caffeine is ok during pregnacy?

I wasn't drinking any until about two weeks ago when I started to crave diet coke. Now I have a little each day. I did not drink it with my first or second son, b/c of previous history of m/c. But now I just want to have that diet coke (and the caffeine free stuff sucks!). What are you thoughts?

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my doctors told me that two 8oz glasses aday will not hurt you
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 9:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• As long as it's in moderation. A little everyday is fine! I drank a can everyday after about 15 weeks, and sometimes even more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i was told no more than 2 cups of coffee a day... that is all the caffine i ever drank....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• That the diet is worse than the caffeine. The aspartame is really bad for you and really bad for the baby. If you want to have caffeine, have regular coke.
    I would have 16 oz of coffee a day with my son and sometime more, and he was a healthy 8.4 lbs.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my second pregnancy I craved cokes. And I drank alot of it. And all was good. However I have heard excessive caqffeine can cause mc.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What is MC? This is my third pregnancy and I have drank MT. Dew throughout all of my pregnancies. My children have turned out fine. I have never heard of MC before.
    kstap_4

Answer by kstap_4 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• kstap_4 MC = micarriage
    reflect1light I would drink regular coke, but I HATE it! :)
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I just am saying, if you are concerned about the amount of caffeine, I would be more concerned about the chemicals that cause memory problems and have been shown to cause brain problems.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I drank DR pepper with all 4 of my pregancies and still do. I do not, however drink diet anything. The saccharin and apartame in those are horrible for you. Much more horrible than sugar or caffeine. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i think it is fine, there is a limit to it, look at the marchofdimes website. they have the strickest policy to avoid preterm labor, i have coke (regualr) every day.. i gave up coffee but my blood pressure is so low i could fall asleep while driving or something bad if i didnt have any. my doc says that is fine, she said i didnt even need to give up the coffee... now diet is an issue.... the artificial sweeteners, all of them, have been linked to other kind of CANCER!! so i would drink the sugar if you arent diabetic during the pregnancy. just my opinion there. i know some people love diet...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009