Does your Pediatrician office send you to the ER when they can't make an appointment available?

My 6 month old has a bad head cold, the on call nurse doing triage insisted we go to the hospital when his lips started to turn purple. He did not stop breathing & did not have a fever. She had us in a panic when she insisted we go to an ER when our Dr.'s office was open for appnmts on a Sunday, because she thought it could be RSV. We were very upset that we had to bring him into the ER and waste the time of the ER staff when he could have been evaluated by his own Dr. When the ER Dr. was told his pediatrician's office was opened, he also felt the nurse jumped the gun & could have been apprpriately treated by his Dr.

SouthwickMama

Asked by SouthwickMama at 9:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our pediatrician's office always sends us to the ER if lips are turning blue! That is a sign they are not getting enough oxygen.

Better to have "wasted the ER's time" than to take EXTRA precious time taking him to the doctor and then the doctor sending you to the ER....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well, its a scary situation, but its weird because my whole entire family has this weird thing where our lips turn blue when we are cold, so I wouldn't have panicked...but that is just strange if he had no other symptoms (wasn't having trouble breathing, didn't hit his head, didn't STOP breathing, didn't have a fever, etc.) they should have just seen him at the dr.'s office.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Most doctor's offices have oxygen monitors (a tiny thing that goes on your finger and is painless) and if they thought he wasn't getting enough oxygen, they should have checked it first. It would have only taken a matter of minutes. They also have specific tests for RSV. I just don't understand why they didn't even try.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• you need a new doctor, my pedi is closed sunday too but in that case she would meet you there because of hospital flus and sending a baby there could make the child catch rsv... get a new doctor and then post your experience on yellowbook and every other site you can find so that other new parents are warned about their neglectful practices.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If they couldn't fit him in, then they couldn't. It could be that they were already working other patients in and you call with a child whose lips are turning blue and youre wondering why they sent you to the ER? I guess I just don't understand. BLUE LIPS? Yeah, thats ER worthy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2009