How do you save money on groceries?

What are some ways you save money on groceries and other things around the house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Shopping

• We have started making meal plans. Two weeks at a time we decide exactly what we are having for each meal. So when I go shopping I know exactly what to buy. This alone has saved me couple hundred dollars a month!
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I read every sale paper for all the stores in my area. Then I make a list of what store has what item. I also scout out the dollar stores and I love Aldi's. If I find an item super cheap I tend to buy more then 1. I don't throw away leftovers either. I freeze them into tv dinners for those times I am late coming home or don't want to cook.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We too make plans on what we would like to eat and then only buy what we need for that. Prior to doing that, we were wasting alot of money because we bought food and threw it away.
    Proudmomof82008

Answer by Proudmomof82008 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Try to go to the grocery store only once a week, cuts down on trips and impulse spending
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Coupons, sometimes multiple coupons for the same item (you can do this as long as its not the same coupon used on the exact same item). Like I had a coupon buy 2 boxes of cereal from one brand, get $1 off. then i had a coupon buy any Total cereal, get $1 off and buy any Chex cereal (or something similar) get $1 off. So I bought Total and Chex and got $3 off. Buy them on sale plus the coupons and is even better!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We buy in bulk at Costco to keep from going to the store so much. We only have to go now when we run out of milk, bread, or eggs. But we even freeze a gallon of milk and loaves of bread which keep very well.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We do really well. I can't complain when it comes to food shopping. We do one big shopping once a month at Shoprite. Sometimes longer. All the little things we'll pick up at Dollar Tree if we run out, like bread, napkins etc etc.....its amazing how much money we save doing that. I love that place.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We save money on groceries by using coupons, writing out a menu for the week, stocking up on good deals at Costco, and eating left-overs.
    camsmom702

Answer by camsmom702 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Sadly i don't, i have tried and tried but i have been having these big and expensive brands for so long nothing tastes the same to me or the children. It makes me sick sometimes when i see my bill for how much food i've bought. With al the nappies, milk, bread, and all other basics plus all the other food it sometimes comes up to £600 for 8 of us.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 9:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• For saving groceries, I use A Full Cup. They have Shopping Lists for each grocery store with the week's sales AND the coupon match ups. Then when items are cheap and free I stock up. This has cut our grocery bill down by almost half.

Some other things I have done was ditch the cleaning products and go natural, vinegar, baking soda, lemon, and salt. We have a strict budget for eating out each month. Once we hit the budget, no more eating out for the month. Also, buy clothing off season, you can save 60% of more on each clothing item!
    NicoleBews

Answer by NicoleBews at 10:18 PM on May. 14, 2010