Do I cut the nipple in a cereal bottle?

So we use Avent bottles and nipples, do I need to cut the nipple if I make a cereal bottle, use a bigger one? And how much cereal to formula do I use? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your pediatrician should tell you how much cereal per ounces, so check with him/her again.

As for nipple...get a variable flow...either an X or Y cut.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't put the cereal in with the bottle. I think it's a choking hazard. What I did was put a tablespoon of cereal and 4-5 tablespoon of formula to begin with in a bowl and fed my son with a spoon. And then just decrease the amount of formula you use depending on how thick you want it. I would start off with it being watery though until he/she gets used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO FEED CEREAL THROUGH A BOTTLE. Didn't your pediatrician tell you that? I know that mine drilled that into my head. You are only supposed to spoon feed it ONLY!!!  because of choking hazards. It is very dangerous.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I am sensing that you knew that since you asked anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• NEVER PUT CEREAL IN A BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Babies should have NOTHING but breastmilk (formula) for AT LEAST 6 months. Nothing but milk is NEEDED for one year.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The words 'cereal' and 'bottle' should never appear next to each other! And you should never cut a nipple. Can we say choking hazard?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Spoon feed the cereal. No sooner then 6 mos, IMO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• unfortunatly my doc never told me that, with my 1st i would put about 4-6 ounces breast milk in a bottle and a little cereal, but it wasn't enough to make it really thick it was still liquid like milk. i told my ped. that and they never had a prob with it, they told me to cut the nipple just a little for it. so i don't know i was never told it was bad and never had any problems with her choking. but it might be, don't go out and do it just cause i did, ask you doc...
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't give the cereal through the bottle. Not only is it a potiental choking hazard, because a different swallowing techique is used. They also tend to like the taste of the cereal bottle better. This idea is usually reserved for special cases, like babies who tend to spit up so much that the ped recommends thickening the formula. It should not be used just because your baby is crying for bottle frequently or waking up multiple times a night. I don't know your situation. But I know I had the same question when my son was 4mo. If your child is four months, I think it'd be ok to give him watery cereal.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You don't put cereal in bottles so there should be no need to cut anything. Try a spoon at around 6 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2009