Are there any tricks to make it easier to get rid of my 19 month old's pacifier?

The doctor said I have to get rid of it before she turns two...she's pretty good during the day...unless we're in the car or shopping....and she definitely needs it to go to sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have a dog, you take them all away one night and say the dog ate them, or you can "mail" them to the paci fairy, and she leaves a toy in the mailbox in the pace of the mailed pacifiers. The paci fairy takes paci's to kids who do not have them, like new babies. Or take a trip to the baby wing of the hospital and "donate" them!! Hope this helps and good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I heard of someone taking their child and their favrite pacifier to build a bear and putting the paci inside the bear. They lose the paci and they gain a new comfort. I haven't tried it since my lo is only 6 months, but I thought it was a cute idea I would pass on.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I just took my son's away, he cried the first day for a little while but he got over it fast and is fine without it.
    Katilina

Answer by Katilina at 10:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ummmmmm take it away...... I hate this question its pretty simple i think to just tell them no more and let them whine it out for a day or 2 but i do love the build a bear idea that is pretty cool!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The doctor said I have to get rid of it before she turns two

Lets clarify...You don't HAVE to do anything. Thats his opinion. Now if you want to and feel it would be best for her, then great, but he doesn't get to tell you what to do. Now that I got that off my chest....

If you feel shes ready, then try doing just at night and then eventually youre probably going to have to take it cold turkey, but at least the day time will be okay. My son had his until he was 2.5 and once he lost them all, I told him that I wan't buying anymore. He did just fine. Pacifiers aren't that big of a deal until permanent teeth begin to form and come in ( I read that in Web MD magazine). That was helpful to me, because i wan't interested in just snatching it from him. Maybe consider getting her something else to comfor her to replace it. LIke a stuffed animal or blanket...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Binky fairy worked for my friend, the bear idea sounds really cute too.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 12:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009