Have you ever taken Melatonin or given any to your kids?

LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Asked by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 11:55 AM on May. 2, 2012 in Health

• I've used it for both of us (me and my granddaughter)

It really shouldn't be used for very young children as it can cause seizures. As with any sleep aid you shouldn't use it except sparingly but, for us, it's been a safe alternative to Benadryl and such
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:03 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I have taken it but never gave it to my children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:03 PM on May. 2, 2012

• It's something our bodies should be producing on its own, but I would still discuss it with our pediatrician.

I've taken it in the past for a few weeks at a time to get back into a regular sleep pattern. It does help.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:04 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I give it to my dd. Have been off and on since she was 6 (she's 9 now). She just doesn't produce enough melatonin on her own, and would be up until 2 or 3 in the morning if I didn't give it to her. We've never noticed any side effects, unless I forget and give it too her later than normal, then she's a bit groggy in the morning.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:14 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I used it frequently for several years and now I use it sparingly. I have never used it on the kids. I have used benadryl as a sleep aid with teething per peds recommendation. Neither is something that I would do often with the kids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:29 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I haven't ever used it, but at our dr's suggestion I did give it to my son with autism when he was around 3 and having trouble sleeping. No side effects and it did straighten out his sleep rhythyms.

Answer by missanc at 12:39 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I take it on a regular basis. Never have given it to my kids though.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:42 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Yes. Because of my sons Autism he has trouble slowing down his brain and body enough to sleep. He would be up all hours of the night. His dr. okay him to have 1 mg on nights he is unable to settle himself down. They sell 1mg chewableas at any GNC.... and wal-mart for that matter. So it's not really hard to find in children's does here.
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 1:38 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I have taken it but it didn't work. It is a chemical that is produced by the brain that helps stimulate your Circadian Rythym. That is the body's sleep schedule. Usually it is activated at nighttime when the sun goes down cuz that is when most people go to sleep. It tells your brain it is bedtime. Sleep patterns get messed up when you work shift work or haven't been sleeping in regular patterns. Theory is melatonin can help you get your sleep rythym back on track but it never worked for me. I don't know about it's use in kids. I would ask your ped about the proper dosage for your child based on their weight and if it's ok to use. Call me old fashioned but when my kid can't sleep I go for benadryl and not on a regular basis.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 5:33 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Some nights I take it when I'm over tired and feel like I won't be able to get to sleep on my own or if I'm really anxious about something. It does help me fall asleep but I usually wake up in the middle of the night and have oddly realistic dreams.

eliza738

Answer by eliza738 at 6:10 PM on May. 2, 2012