Baby cereal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DD is 4.5 months old. I was thinking of starting her on baby foods in the next couple weeks and was wondering what baby cereal would be the best to give her? Or should I skip the baby cereal all together?

TIA
__________________

aussiesmummie

Asked by aussiesmummie at 9:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my son cereal at 4 months! I buy oatmeals n he loves it. Now, I buy rice and he also loves it. it is ok to give them baby cereal at this age. It helps them to sleep at night. I mixed cereal with formula. .,.Just a little bit so it doesnt clog up the nipple!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• they say start with rice cereal single grain stuff...
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• IMO cereal is junk. It's filler with no real nutritional value. But also, IMO I would not start until at least 6 mos, and then just offer some fruit or veggie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well Ive also heard that some of the baby cereals bind the babies up and they have problems using the bathroom.
    aussiesmummie

Answer by aussiesmummie at 10:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Cereal is junk - so is anything that comes from a jar marketed for babies.

You have time for your baby - wait until 6 months (the minimum age a baby should be started on anything other than milk - as stated and researched by all major health organisations) - and make him food at home, let him eat what you eat.

Google "baby led weaning".
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Mines were on Mixed cereal the day they came home from the Hospital.
    I used Mixed cereal and gerber baby food. They loved that stuff.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'd start with rice cereal, it's the least likely to cause an allergic reaction and it has iron that your baby needs.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2009