my baby is 3 months old and i breastfeed him.the problem is that he doesn't accept a bottle formula at all so am not comfortable when we go out especially to the malls and in the car...what can i do to solve this problem?

Tahani103

Asked by Tahani103 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you able to pump or will he just not accept a bottle no matter what is in it?
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Have you tired pumping for him? Thats the only thing I can think of.
    aussiesmummie

Answer by aussiesmummie at 10:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You should try nursing in front of a mirror. You would be surprised how little shows. I have no idea how to get him to take a bottle, but I can try and help you become more comfortable nursing in public if you would like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would express breast milk to use in a bottle when you are away from home if you are not comfortable nursing. Also you might want to have someone else offer the bottle babies tend  to reject bottles when you usually breastfeed

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i breastfeed both mine and the 1st would take a bottle of milk if she had to. with my 2nd i can't seem to pump so i had to find ways to feed in public. i was very shy about it but the more you do it the easier it is. i'm not the type to pull it out in a resturant or any thing i try and schedule around her. i feed her in the car when she needs it, before going in a stoor or out to eat. people don't really pay much attention when you are in a car and you don't feel like you are putting yourself out there to flash everyone either.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 10:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Not a problm - in fact it's fantastic that he knows he should be nursing from you rather than a plastic substitute with inferior milk in it! Be thankful your boy isn so smart :)

Like a previous poster said - try nursing infront of the miror and you wll see that it's not a big show and dance - nobody will see more than your baby's head and try to gain some confidence - be proud to nurse in public, send out the message that breastfeeding is normal.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well generally alot of babies that are BF won't take a bottle from mom, so have hubby offer the bottle to him. Alot of times they will take a bottle from someone else besides the "food source" lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Pump into a bottle and try that, At first hold him close just like you are feeding him normally, then gradually let Daddy or someone else try it. That might help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When I went to the malls, I'd sit down in a dressing room stall and nurse.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 10:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• With my daughter I breast-fed her anywhere and everywhere. I learned to do it so nothing showed and half the fime no one even knew what was going on. I actually got compliments from a few older women for how discreet I was. They said it is good to see a young mom nursing (I was 17) and at first they didn't even realize my daughter was nursing, they thought she was just sleeping. Anyway, I would try doing it in front of a mirror. There is nothing wrong with nursing in public as long as you aren't flopping your whole boob out lol. Just remind yourself that you are doing the best for your baby and be happy he is smart enough to reject that fake nipple. He knows where the good stuff comes from. :)
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 10:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009