Grocery shopping day...

and I am more than a little discouraged :( prices for stuff that we used to get cheap seem to have really gone up, and its getting harder and harder to stretch the money for the month, kwim? I wish there was a couponing or food budgeting/meal planning class i could take! anyways... i think we'll be ok for the next two weeks or so but after that :-/

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 2:22 PM on May. 2, 2012 in Shopping

• We are all struggling with the high cost of food and the smaller packages. It's not easy but we can just keep doing the best we can. Good luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:28 PM on May. 2, 2012

• It's tough out there and the prices just seem to be going up and up and up. I am shocked by prices when I shop. A bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's on sale would be $1, now I'm lucky if I can find it for $1.50 on sale. Butter has gone up so much. I remember I used to be able to buy one of those small containers of sour cream for $1 and now see it on sale for $1.40 Cereal has gone up again, even bread is outrageous. I bought a loaf of Rudi's Honey Sweet Wheat on sale for $3.79! Almost $4 for a loaf of bread! I am not willing to sacrifice quality for certain things either. It makes me crazy
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:30 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Oh I hate grocery shopping! I have to look at the ads to see what is on sale. Then I meal plan 14 dinners and 14 lunches and breakfast and then break it down into what I have and what I need then get it all on the list. Then look for coupons. The get it all on paper. Spaghetti and split chicken breast and drums are staples here. I am SO SICK of chicken and veggies and rice/noodles. lol. But we have to do what we have to do. It would be much easier if DS would eat normal food! But since he still only eats certain things due to sensory issues... I have to spend a lot of our budget just on his things. It is frustrating for sure!
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 2:26 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Oh gosh yes
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 2:28 PM on May. 2, 2012

• spaghetti and tacos are the main things we eat over and over and yes it does get boring :P my husband doesn't eat chicken so it makes it hard to plan or buy cheaply. thankfully its getting to be BBQ season so we do a lot of grilled hot dogs or hamburgers or pork chops. the kids get breakfast and lunch at school but as soon as school is out i'm gonna be spending even more having to make 3 meals a day instead of just two (lunch for dh me and my youngest son plus dinner for everyone)
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 2:29 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I'm realllly struggling with food right now. You're right; everything is absurdly expensive. My granddaughter has that food phobia now so her liquefied food is incredibly expensive. Honestly, I'm not really even buying anything for myself but coffee and paper products. I have all that food I canned last year that I'm using for me.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:29 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I make a lot of things from scratch. If you invest the $4 for a loaf of bread into a bag of flour, some eggs and yeast you get more bread out of it. I also watch the sales and try to shop the outsides of the stores for better for me foods.

I'm also lucky to live in an area with a lot of ethnic markets. so the cucumbers that are 2 for $1 at a grocery store are $.79/lb instead,
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:46 PM on May. 2, 2012

• No, I live at altitude and bread just doesn't come out the same as below 8,000' I don't think you get more bread out of the deal either, you slice thicker and waste more. And, I am a professional baker btw.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:01 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Do you have a brookshire's where you live? I get my produce at Aldi because it's cheap, but this is what I got from brookshire's BOGO sale and coupons:
    $20.58
    2 loaves or wheat bread
    2 bags of tortilla chips
    2 jars of salsa
    2 cans if diced tomatoes
    2 package if ham
    2 packages of beef hotdogs
    2 10oz packages of natural cheese
    2 boxes of saltines

I think thats all...
    Again I DO BUY PRODUCE, I just didn't today
    Let me know if you have any questions
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 4:52 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Here are my favorite tips for saving at the grocery store:
    Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)
    Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!
    Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on May. 2, 2012