My credit score is 608..... i know which is not good. how can i improve my credit score. and how long does it take before i see a change with my credit score. lets say i pay off 2 credit cards will i see some sort of a difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on May. 2, 2012 in Money & Work

• I would think with all of today's foreclosures and job losses, a 608 would be average.
    anyway, when you pay off the credit cards don't close the accounts, closing them will bring down the score even more.
    Good luck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:35 PM on May. 2, 2012

• 608 is actually pretty decent considering how scores start at 250 (or 200?) and go to 850. Credit card companies report to credit agencies monthly so you should see some improvement pretty quickly.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:35 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Concentrate on getting any bad marks taken off. Call all your creditors that have given you 30 day lates, etc and ask them to remove it. In my experience any changes to a credit report take MONTHS to show up.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:36 PM on May. 2, 2012

• You don't want to pay off your credit cards, I just recently learned this you want to keep your cards on average about 35% of your balance on it. Paying off your cards will bring down your score. I know this because my credit score is 630 and the loan officer said that in order for our credit to go up we have to keep a balance of 35% use on our cards, if it is less than that our score will go down.

Try to get bad marks taken off your credit.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:59 PM on May. 2, 2012