How long does creeping phlox take to creep?

I've never planted creeping phlox but picked up two big containers of them at the nursery. When I went to put them in the bed I realized that each container is a single block. I separated them a bit but they still look absurd and will, I'm assuming, until they start creeping.

How long might that take?

BrawnwynII

Asked by BrawnwynII at 5:50 PM on May. 2, 2012 in Home & Garden

• they will spread over time..mine are 3-4x their size this spring from last year...they will stay green after bloomtime..and i didn't cut anything back over winter. i could probably divide them this fall, before frost sets in.
    what color did you buy?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:05 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Phlox are of the devil. They took over my mom's front yard in a matter of a couple of years
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:27 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Nah, those are merely the spawn of the devil
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:32 PM on May. 2, 2012

• nothing is worse than lariope..you can't kill that stuff.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:35 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I don't know, just wanted to say I've always wanted to plant that! I should totally get some this year.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:51 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I want to plant that too. Why does it look weird? I'm going to try that. Our neighbors have it and it looks so good.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:04 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I want to say it took ours about a month or two.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 6:06 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I once spent 2 solid days digging up lily of the valley out of a neighbors yard
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:39 PM on May. 2, 2012

• Okay so remember that it's just a clump of phlox LOL. And the roots are so intertwined that I'm afraid to separate them too much.

Phlox are stressful!
    BrawnwynII

Comment by BrawnwynII (original poster) at 5:52 PM on May. 2, 2012

• "what color did you buy?"

I got a block of purple and a block of white. I planted them under the Morning Glory which crawls up the address post by my porch. The really look pretty but just not symmetrical

@mompam - it's sort of like when you checkerboard sod. It looks like a bad haircut until things start growing in
    BrawnwynII

Comment by BrawnwynII (original poster) at 6:08 PM on May. 2, 2012