How can I keep my new 3yr. old dog off the sofa when I'm gone?

We just rescued a cute, calm and loving tan pit bull - no hating please!

We have had him about 5 weeks and the only issue is; he sneaks in the sofa when we're not home!

What can I do to teach him not to do this.
He is easy to train, we have taught him to sit, lay down, go to bed, and not to eat his food till he hears the command "eat". So he is smart enough, but he only goes on the sofa when we are not there...

Any advise?
Thanks :)

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 7:29 PM on May. 2, 2012 in Pets

• Crate Train? You might get some good advice if you try asking Villalobos Rescue Center. It's the largest Pit Bull rescue in the US. The also have Facebook pages. It has recently split into the rescue and a sanctuary for unadoptable dogs. Either place should help, at the very least, point you in the right direction.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:43 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I know a lady who crinkles up big pieces of tin foil (so they are mishaped, not in a ball) and puts them around to keep cats off her chairs. I wonder if it might work for a dog? Just an idea........
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:46 PM on May. 2, 2012

• There MIGHT be some sprays or something you can spray on the couch that would keep him off. I'm thinking that because my dog ended up with a broken leg today and they put this bitter spray on the leg, splint, and bandages to keep him from nipping at it. I'm thinking if that something like that can keep the dog from nipping at the splint he has on his leg then there has to be something that you can spray on the couch to keep him off.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:14 PM on May. 2, 2012

• But plastic on it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on May. 2, 2012

• The dog will still get up there, though...
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 7:36 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I'd crate him
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:40 PM on May. 2, 2012

• close off the room with gates or something
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:32 PM on May. 2, 2012

• I crate my little pitty when were not home :)
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 6:05 AM on May. 4, 2012