My daughter wont eat real food!

My dd is almost 8 months and has 4 teeth. She does great on stage 2 foods and thick cereal in the morning. If I try to puree her anything or give her stage 3 with chunks she gags and spits it out. Ive recently tried the little puffs from gerber that melt in her mouth and they are immediatly spit back out where they stay on her chin. Any suggestions?

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think she's doing a great job of telling you she's not quite ready for stage 3 foods!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Should i keep offering to get her used to it?
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yeah offer it every few days, eventually she will prefer things with texture...don't rush it. The first food I tried w/ my DD was a bananna (just squished it w/ a fork, so that there were small chunks...it's one of the closest real flavors to baby food).
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'd say she isnt ready :). Myself.......I'd wait a month or so before offering step 3 foods. I would put a squished banana and mashed potato (plain mashed potato with alittle formula in it, no butter and no salt) on my daughters tray and let her go to town. It helps with hand mouth coordination. I would suggest doing this right before a bath lol :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Just wait. She will eat it when she is ready. My son.... 17 mos, will not eat chunky baby food, but will eat finger food, regular table food, and stage 2 food... weird kids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• A couple of suggestions...Try a mesh feeder with chunks of her favorite fruit in it (apple, peach, pear, etc.). If she is teething...make it cold fruit - it'll feel good on her gums. Also...chunks of banana is a good start - babies love banana so if they'll take texture, they'll take banana first. Finally, you could try making your own food. I puree my daughter's food and I just make each batch a little lumpier than the last. She doesn't really notice a difference from batch to batch but we've slowly gotten used to texture.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my dd loves the puffs. you could try and mix them with her baby food first then give them to her or you can mash up the real food and give it to her like that .and they have that thing that looks like a net you can put real food in so they dont get chucnks or cant choke on it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I can see your frustration. She just may not be ready. My baby is the opposite- she likes finger foods so much now, giving her 2nd foods- or most anything on a spoon she gets all mad and shakes her head "noooooooo!"
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• real food is just what baby can handle. my baby didn't start any solids til 11mos. breastmilk was her real food. so don't worry. 8 mos is pretty young. don't push it.
    Anonymous