WHY ARE SOME WOMAN SO NEGATIVE, WHEN A MOTHER WANTS TO KNOW THE SEX OF HER BABY BEFORE 20 WEEKS?

I WAS READING SOME POLLS AND QUESTIONS ON HERE, AND I ALSO EXPERIENCED IT MYSELF IGNORANT WOMEN HAVING A NEGATIVE RESPONSE OF A WOMAN WANTING TO KNOW THE SEX OF (HER) BABY BEFORE 20 WEEKS.

Ms.Laterice

Asked by Ms.Laterice at 10:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it's natural for a woman to want to know the sex of a baby before 20 weeks, but think it's ridiculous to buy into the gender predictors before 12 weeks, because that the earliest you can tell on an ultrasound, what a baby is going to be. And even then, it's hard to tell. Boy and girl genitalia looks the same at 9 weeks.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If they want to know they can, however, before 20 weeks it could still be difficult to find out. I went in at 18 weeks and they told me 90% chance I was having a girl. At 24 weeks I went back and I had a little boy. I haven't seen any posts, but maybe they're not being negative, but just warning them that they may not be completely accurate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh, now I see what you mean. I thought you were just talking about Ultrasounds before 20 weeks. I didn't know what the big deal was. I don't know why people would care...but a lot of people have strong opinions on here and feel they need to express them maybe not in the greatest way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have never seen negativity. What I have seen is people who offer advice saying that it's not very accurate before 20 weeks, and it's not. So I am confused about this question? Some people do focus more on gender than having a healthy baby, and that might irk some women who have very sick babies, etc... but I don't know about negativity, I've never seen it about gender questions...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I haven't seen any negative post about this either. I don't see what the big deal is. Between 18 and 21 weeks you are getting an US anyway so why not find out if you like? I did with my three.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS, BUT FOR THE ONES THAT SAID THEY NEVER SEEN NEGATIVITY ON HERE, YOU'LL BE AMAZED, IVE JUST STARTED THIS SIGHT AND I SEEN IT MYSELF, SO MAYBE YOU HAVEN'T CROSSED ANY OF IT YET, BUT IT'S THERE, FOR EXAMPLE A WOMAN MADE A POLL AND WAS ASKING ABOUT THE DRANO TEST, ONE OF HER RESPONSES, WAS

"("HERE WE GO WITH THE DRANO TEST THING AGAING, WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT DAMN COME ON NOW IT IS VERY HAZARDOUS TO DO THAT, IF YOU DECIDED TO DO THAT YOU ARE AN ASS FOR IT"...)

NOW I FIND THAT NEGATIVE THAT WOMAN DID NOT HAVE TO PUT HER 2 CENTS IN ON WHAT THAT GIRL DECIDE TO DO, IT'S HER BABY NOT HERS, ALL THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR, SO AGAIN LADIES THERE ARE IGNORANT PEOLPE THAT EXPRESS THERE OPINION WRONGLY, AND YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE CONCERN, AND EXPRESS THERE FEELINGS THE RIGHT WAY, BUT NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE.
    Ms.Laterice

Answer by Ms.Laterice at 12:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I didn't ask if I could see before 20 weeks, I just got lucky! They saw a the very first U/S where they date the pregnancy that I had Placenta Previa so I had to come back at 15 weeks and they told me it was a boy. Then I had the normal one at 20 weeks and they confirmed he was still a boy. This was for my 2nd pregnancy
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2009