Has anyone had to take anti-depressants while pregnant? How was the baby afterwards?

came off paxil around month 2 and am having trouble with depression and panic. want to know if anyone has first hand experience with meds and pregnancy. email me at sessasalon@gmail.com

sessasalon

Asked by sessasalon at 10:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I took Effexor XR through my entire first pregnancy...daughter came out healthy and fine. I'm still on it and am pregnant with my second child. Everything is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't do that at all.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 10:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i was on Welbutrin XL my first pregnancy. No problems. But no one could tell me the effects of it on breastmilk; so i stopped taking it. Nothing with #2, but now I am on Prozac.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My sister was on a light AD when she was pregnant, she had some serious issues so, she HAD to be on them. Talk to your doctor about your problems. Her baby is healthy and happy and so, is she.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I was anti depressants the entire time I was pregnant with all 3 of my children. I did have to change to zoloft with one because I was taking Risperdol, Wellbutrin and something else and they weren't a safe combination.

I'm thinking about getting pregnant again, and I take a controlled substance for panic attacks/anxiety. That's a very scary idea for me because I can't take anything like that while pregnant and the zoloft among other drugs, don't cover my anxiety very well.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh, sorry. There were no side effects for my children. I even breastfed. They are fine. None of them need antidepressants or suffer from crazy mood swings or anxiety. LOL
    munch12502

• So no one noticed that the baby was extra irritable or disconnected after withdrawal? Or that their children were less happy as they grew? I am afraid that my baby will need the meds if I start now. I am 27 weeks along. No one noticed heart of lung problems either? It's hard to have a panic disorder and make this decision. I know what the doctors have to say but I want to hear it from moms who have experience. Thanks.
    sessasalon

Answer by sessasalon at 11:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i am on zoloft. my doc said it is fine, she has had tons of patients take it while pregs ( i take 25 mgs per day) she said her highest dosage of a pregnant woman was 200 mgs but the woman needed it badly and the child was just fine... paxil is the one you cannot take while preg that causes birth defects for sure.. i am a lil concerned about teh issues you talked about but i trust my doc's experience and if she is wrong i will just sue her.!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2009