IS IT NORMAL FOR MY 3Y/O TO TELL ME HE DOSENT LIKE ME AND WANTS TO WITH MY MIL(THIS HAPPENS AFTER HE VISITS HER)

HE ALSO TELLS HIS SISTER THAT HE DOSNT LIKE HER EITHER

foxzy

Asked by foxzy at 8:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try to remember your reaction the first time he told you that. If he got some kind of rise out of you that gave him power. He feels comfortable to say things like that because he knows you love him no matter what. When my 4 yr old twins do that I just tell them I still like them and let it go. If he was having a great time with Grandma he's just mad the fun ended. I explain later when all is happy that things said like that can hurt feelings and if they are sad about something they should talk about that.
    nycurlee

Answer by nycurlee at 10:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Maybe (nycurlee had a good post, too) he is trying to say something. I say to my kids sometimes when they do something I don't like, "I don't like that."

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My SD actually picked it up from me...on accident. When her daddy was picking on me I'd pick back and say "shhh i don't like you" I realized she picked it up and stopped saying it even as a joke and she stopped soon after.
    HesMyLife22508

Answer by HesMyLife22508 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• yes its normal. I have a 3 year old granddaughter that tells her mom that all the time after she visits me. I think its the 1 on 1 attention they get when they are with us. BUT I spoil my grandbabaies. all of them when i can.
    pinksurvivor12

Answer by pinksurvivor12 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• You have to remember that they have limited rules and they get a lot of special attention when they are with grandparents so naturally that sems better to them than coming back home to all the rules and having to share all the attention with his sister. When he says it I would just try ignoring it no matter how much it hurts you and if he realizes hes not getting any reacction from you he will prob stop. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I think it is sooo normal. My son tells me "Mom, I don't like you now." Not on a day to day basis, but often enough. I've heard that it's their way of distancing themselves from us, Mommy. I think boys do it more than girls, because boys seem to know that they are BOYS, not girls like mommy, and they have to exert their boyhood.
    You just have to realize they really do love you, and it may just be said in response to a disciplinary action, or a negatively percieved direction in thier day.
    Help them find the words to express themselves. Maybe he just doesn't know how to tell you he's upset about having to leave a friend's house. Or that you are in a sense smothering him with "too much lovin'".
    Hope this helps.
    MommyWantsAGirl

Answer by MommyWantsAGirl at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2008