What do I need to know before A Mamogram?

I've never had A Mamogram Ever. I can't afford any medical health care! So I'm going in for A Free Screening Etc.. My Bio mom Died from Breast cancer when she was 47. I never got to know her. For I was A Stolen Baby. But I found her when I was 19 & she Was Dying. She Said very little to me.. Anyway The people taking my appointment told me Very Little. So I have nothing to go on.. I'm Busty & my Breasts are always Tender.. They shake like Jello on A plate ! LOL~! Can you advise me any tips? I'd appreciate any thing you can share! Thank you most kindly in advance!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Health

• The mammo may hurt since they squish you down as much as possible between two flat plates. But is just a very short time. I never hurt afterwards, but if you do you can take a little painkiller, so don't worry about the pain. Don't worry about embarrassment, the technician will be very professional. Before you get dressed again they usually will have a doctor check the films, and if something isn't clear enough they'll retake the picture or maybe just a part of it. They will explain everything for you. Good luck! It is good that you know of your mother's history so that you can tell them this.

Answer by Bmat at 11:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Don't wear deodorant and take some with you in your purse for afterwords. Didn't they give you a pamphlet to read? They will most likely send you a letter telling you what to expect. It is pretty straight forward, and will be over quickly. Don't let the process scare you from having this done. I hope they refer you to other health care available to you.

cafeclubmom

Answer by cafeclubmom at 12:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009