What was the worst thing others have said or done to you while you were nursing in public?

I had someone tell me it is disgusting and unnatural and I should only do it at home, not in public for her husband to see me haha.

On the other hand I have had ALOT more positive reactions than negative. Alot of people have came right up to me and congradulated me on nursing :)

How about you? What have been the best and worst things people have said or done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I nursed both kids in publc/private/wherever and never got a comment.

I was a leeetle nervous when I had to nurse in front of DH's aunt, she is a nun and very fierce (in a good way), but there was never a fuss.

I wish someone had - I would have loved to use some of the awesome comebacks I've read here!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The best thing anyone ever said to me came from my family of course. When my aunts found out I was nursing my son they said, "Oh good he's going to grow up and be a big strong man." And one time at a WIC appointment the lady asked me what kind of formula my baby used, I told her I breastfed. She actually put down her pen, looked at me and said, "I'm so happy you're doing that! That's the best thing a mother can do for her baby." Those reactions made me feel really good. I never really got a negative reaction but even if i did, I wouldn't have cared. I'm not knocking mothers who bottlefeed their babies! Breastfeeding isn't for everyone and I think whatever makes you comfortable is best for your baby.
    lagunalove08

Answer by lagunalove08 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Never anything negative, but 2 little boys (maybe 5-6 years old) saw me nursing my 6 week old at a Forestry Festival/Lumberjack Competition. Well they really only saw my son's feet sticking out from the blanket, but they kept turning around looking and giggling then spinning back for about 35 minutes. Then they saw it was a baby and not just feet growing out of my side and looked surprised. I don't think they had a clue about what was going on.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ha that's funny RugersMommy! Cute story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• **I take that back. When my son was 14 months old I flew from NC to MI and got stuck in Chicago. A day was complaining about the liquid restrictions and how she was out of formula (baby crying) I said I was "sorry I don't use it, I only breastfeed" and I said it totally nice just in the conversation. She stopped talking, hurumphed and turned around. How rude? She thought I was going to give her formula and was offended when I said I don't use it. Only positive reactions whenever I flew, he nursed & slept through every flights until age 2.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I was at a fireworks show with our daughter when she was 2 weeks old and was sitting in my own car BF'ing her, when this old man stomps up, waving his cane at me, screaming that I needed to take my "disgusting, poisonous breast out of that innocent baby's mouth!" I was tired, still a bit sore, not used to nursing in public and having to cover up and replied with "F*ck off! I'll poison my baby any way I see fit." I'm not usually quite so rude. My husband was livid, and was going to do a serious beatdown on this poor old man. The old man's family, after giving me dirty looks, pulled him away, and they actually left the show. I finished feeding Baby Girl and we watched a hell of a good fireworks show!!
    I rarely had good responses.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009