Will these increase my chances of a successful vaginal birth?

I am currently fighting for a vbac. Putting aside all the legal stuff (I have a doula), I was wondering healthwise: will my daily consumption of pregnancy-friendly herbal teas (such as raspberry leaf, dandelion root...etc) and daily kegels and prenatal yoga (practically daily since 1st month!) increase my chances of a vaginal birth? I mean since Im helping my body prepare?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:12 AM on May. 3, 2012 in Pregnancy

• its pretty much up to the baby there's nothing you can do to prevent csection or to greater your chance for vaginal delivery some women dilate all the way to 8 cm and then stop and have to result in a emergency c section , just continue your yoga and trust your doula and keep your fingers crossed cuz ultimately its up to ur bundle and ur body BEST OF LUCK THOUGH N CONGRATS
    starrburst21

Answer by starrburst21 at 1:41 AM on May. 3, 2012

• yes I figured that too lol just curious if my daily rituals would give my body a boost. thanks! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 AM on May. 3, 2012

• Yoga can help. PS...I did none of that and had a successful VBAC after everyone (even a few doctors) told me there was no way I would be able to do a VBAC. My children were very close together (only 14 months) and my son was bigger but I was still successful, and really I did nothing to increase my chances.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:35 AM on May. 3, 2012

• Kegels aren't going to do a thing for you. Yoga and any form of squatting might help. The herbs and teas - I have no idea. Why did you have your first c-section? Was it just failure to wait? If your water tends to break too early I think I read something about vitamin C and some oil I can't remember the name of. If you had a breech the first time I would recommend spinningbabies.com . Heck they are good anyway. They have something about opening the pelvic floor muscles I wish I had known about. Supposed to be very good if you stop dilating to get things moving again. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:27 AM on May. 3, 2012

• I had an emergency cs because I wasnt dilating after 10 hours and the doctor gave me petocin to help,.,,it just made the pain worse. I gave in and got the epidural. both drugs caused my sons heart rate to drop with each contraction and they did a cs. I have heard this story too many times from other moms. Because it was a preventable issue, I dont need a repeat for any medical reason other than "because I had one with my previous". There is a ban at my hospital so I'm hoping to labor at home as long as I can.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on May. 3, 2012

• Yep, failure to wait. No reason for another surgical delivery. No other hospital you can go to? I would go to spinningbabies.com. Also contact ICAN. Don't go to any extra appointments. No U/S to check size. No vaginal exams to check dilation, Just an opportunity for the dr to interfere or panic. Can you find a home birth midwife? A doula really isn't enough.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2012

• closest vbac hospital is over an hour away and my insurance wont cover out of state. I have contacted ICAN and they have been very supportive! My dr doesnt do repeat U/S's unless it seems necessary. Since my levels have been good I doubt he will! As for the no dilation check and all, that was added to my birth plan a few weeks ago :) I cannot find a midwife at this time who would do a homebirth. It would have to be unassisted at this time and I wont be risking that. My doula is definately enough. She has been so wonderful in giving me information and she has been very successful with my doctor. She told me I will be her first vbac in the area so hopefully things will work! Good test for her. Her back-up doula will join us at the hospital for extra support. My doula is also a midwife apprentice.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:36 AM on May. 7, 2012