What if I want to join the army ??

My son is three years old, in which ways will he be affected if I join the Army Reserve?

carolina0222

Asked by carolina0222 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• He will have the coolest freaking mom on the block!

GOOD FOR YOU!

(I say that knowing NOTHING about the Reserve, just feeling rather patriotic)

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You can't predict how it will affect your child. Every kid is different. As long as you have a good base of people who will be there for him when you are gone for trainning and if you get deployed go for it. The change may take awhile but kids on the whole are resillent he'll adapt to the new routine.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with bugandsmiles. My hubby is Air Force, has been for almost 12 years. If you have a good support system and someone who would be there to care for your son if you get deployed, then it will be fine. Kids adjust well as long as they are still around people they love. My kids have always been with me, but they weren't that badly affected when dad was deployed.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• are you a single mom? if so you may run into some snags with joining the military. but it is not necessarily a no... but you WILL be deployed, so need to keep that in mind. you will be gone for a year or more with two weeks to come home and visit. you will miss birthdays and holidays. I am not trying to scare you off from joining far from it (i love the military and so miss military life and give kudos to any mom who can join b/c i don't think i could do it and remain sane) but every child is different. my oldest was ok with dh being gone. my ds, our middle, wanted NOTHING to do with dh when he was home. it took almost a year for him to even be nice to dh. the baby does not even remember him being gone.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• cont....

cont. but again, every child deals with it differently. not that he won' t miss you, he will! but you will miss him that much more... again, i don't want to keep you from doing it! i have great respect of you even considering it! make a list of the pro's and con's and really be informed. get all the info you can.
    ArmyWifeMomof3