why did you choose abortion over adoption?

a friend of mine said she choose abortion because she didn't want the baby and she didn't want someone else to have the baby. that sounds extremely selfish to me! i seriously want to understand why women choose abortion and not adoption. i understand you have chosen what was right for you. thank you for helping me out.

honey5

Asked by honey5 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you don't have to understand... and you probably never will understand because to most people abortion is the selfish route, or the easy way out, etc.. and while for a few it may be easier for many it's just as agonizing of a decision as adoption etc.

I had an abortion at 15 because I wasn't going to carry a baby. The baby wouldn't have survived with the amount of drugs and alcohol I was doing, and if it did it would not have been a healthy baby, and it didn't deserve that. It was the best decision I could have made at that age and have yet to regret it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i personally wouldn't do either i am adopted and i wish i never was and abortion if u were that irresponsible then to bad deal with it i love kids but if i had to choose one id have it put up for adoption
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I've never been in that situation, but some people might be worried that there are already so many kids in foster homes looking to be adopted. I'm all for adoption myself. Everyone should be able to experience the joys of parenting.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Your friend has a right to her decision and you should not be judging her. I totally see her point.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I'm sorry I totally agree with you. I really don't believe in abortion. Everyone knows with sex there is always the possiability of creating a child, I mean thats what it was designed for. If you don't want a baby there are millions of people who can't have kids who would love one. To me anytime you stop a human heart beat you are murdering someone.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i still would try to have the baby if it was mental or if i did have drugs in my system or even if i was raped i think no one should be able to do that u never really know if it will turn out ok and if after that and it is to hard for you adoption still people still want the handicap babies too
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with you. It's an extremely selfish point of view. I will never understand how abortion is so widely accepted or the thought that someone can be ok with in order to do it. I maintain that I am prochoice for everyone else's body....I totally disagree with abortion and I will always view someone who had an abortion differently. I try not to, but it's constantly in the back of my mind. I have an online friend that had one abortion, then had one baby she gave up for adoption and she said the adoption was harder than the abortion....for her.

I can't help but wonder if the baby she aborted feels the same way.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I almost had an abortion. I would've if I would've ended up pregnant after my rape. There was no way I could carry the baby to term, especially knowing that my rapist could get custody of the innocent baby. My boyfriend (now husband) was willing to father the baby if I would've ended up pregnant and I choose to keep it but I just could not do it. Thankfully though I didn't end up pregnant.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I was in the postion t o make a hard decsion with my oldest son I was a senior in high school when I got pregnant. I had a full ride scholorship to college and since getting it I had gone a little wild. Dinking, smoking, and doing drugs. When I found out I was pregnant I was scared but I quit everything and had my son. He is a healthy thriving 5 year old now. He has no learning diaablilites or anything. Drinking and smoking increse the risk for problems but they do not gureentee them. I got lucky cause I quti everything a three months. But the thing is I didn't know and knowone knows how child will turn out a mother who does everything right the whole time can end up witha baby who has problems. Being healthy isn't a requirment on the human race every child should have the chance to become whoever they are meant to become.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• If I had to choose one or the other, I personally would cloose adoption, but that's just me, I do have a dear friend who had to choose abortion for medical reasons and I don't look at her any differently. It's a personal choice and we all choose what's best or our situations.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 11:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2009